Digital Storm Velox Z270 Gaming Desktop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Well this is something my dad would buy, since he doesn't care about money he just wants the best. But for me, I would never spend that much on something I could build for nearly half that.

Also, Kaby Lake being the ripoff that it is, just no.

Right-sided window cases are quite novel, but make everything inside them appear a bit "off".

If you're going to make a window case, make it a left-sided window case. This way your component labels aren't all showing upside down. Upside-down text definitely takes away from the cool-factor the Windowed case can provide.

Janissaire

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
It's overpriced,hell,you could say it's a scam,there's no defending a scam,this is peoples like you that kill every industry ever by saying; they have the right to scam peoples and sell overpriced mess.

I just bought this exact system a couple weeks ago just to be able to play this game https://duckhuntjs.com and I gotta tell you, it handles the game extremely well. I can even have several other browser tabs open while playing, and I don't even take a hit in performance. That's just nuts! This system is awesome, guys!

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Not going to make fun of it or knock it for its price. Bottom line if your not going to build it, its going to cost you pure 'n' simple.

I think going so over the top with everything else, they should've paired a single 240-256gb SSD for the OS, and then another SSD in the 1-2TB range. It's nice to show off the 4k/1440p/FPS speed, but also how fast everything loads. A setup like this shouldn't have any platters.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Very nice system.

But I think most of you (Derek included) are missing the point.
If your just looking at performance per dollar, your measuring it by the wrong metric. Its like evaluating a Lamborghini on the basis of gas mileage alone.

This system comes pre-assemled, pre-overlcocked with everything loaded and ready to go. Just install your 1st game and start playing.
It also comes with a warranty and nice support. For DIY systems, you provide your own support, and warranty for each part has to be handled separately. Some of us like that, some of us dont.

The extra cost is for the warranty, support and the nice looking setup.

I really like this (although I am not one of the potential customers) but I think that the hiccups cause by DirectX12 (that were in no way Digital's fault) can hinder this system quite a bit. After all, if you have to manually change some settings in order to play some games, it loses a lot of its "plug&play" console-like feel.
I'm not faulting the company or the product, but if I were to spend this kind of money, I would feel outraged to have almost ANY kind of issue (that other PCs with less power don't), even those caused by a game API.

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
There is a saying in the car world "Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Pick 2"

You can build a fast PC cheap - but it won't be stable. (Think massive OC's without proper cooling using less than premium parts)
You can build a fast reliable PC - See DS or F:NW.
You can build a cheap reliable machine - But don't expect to run Witcher 3 at Ultra+ settings on a 4k display.

But there is certainly a difference between it being fast and realiable, and it being a luxurious item.
You can build a Fast Reliable machine with about $2k. Compared to this particular PC, that would be considered "cheap". So I don't think that saying applies to luxurious items.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Most of you saying you could build an equivalent probably build junk ratty poorly managed systems with unstable overclocks.

If I charged what my time is worth, to build something like this it would probably end up being a similar price. Time is money. Nobody works for free and you are NOT the target audience.

"Time is money" only applies when you're not using it for your hobbies. If your hobby includes building your own PC, you would certainly not pay $2000 to have someone else do it. I admit that automatically means I'm not the target audience, because this is for people who'd rather pay to have a plug&play system (wich is OK for them).

Also, how many hours can a experienced builder take building such a system? What would the hourly rate be?

I'm not saying that this doesn't make sense, and I have admitted I'm not the target audience. I'm just saying that you CAN build a system that is just as good in cable management, performance and reliability for about 2k less, and it won't even be a full day of work.

The extra expense is the Luxury part of it, like the custom made case for example.

This makes sense for the targetted audience, but I insist that you can make something functionally equal (and still really nice) for a lot less money.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Ok lets do this. This is as close to the build as I can get
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dmWhGf
looking at silicon lottery, a 5ghz cpu is basically msrp, a 5.1 is 429, and a 5.2 is 680
Now lets see how less stupid I can make this build. a d15 should handle the overclock
some faster ram and 16gb sticks so it comes in 50$ cheaper, this way once ram goes down in price you can add in some more ram if you really want.
added a 1.1tb ssd, as next to nothing benefits from sataIII+ speed,
replaced the 3tb 7200 with an 8tb 5900, any game you want that is read dependant or random read reliant goes to the ssd, the 8tb is just mass storage for the upcoming wave of games that are nearly 100gb in size.
sli is absolutely stupid, especially when you have that much power in one card already, and evga screwed up this product round bad, so gigabyte windforce.
removed powersupply and added seasonic
gave it a case I really like the design of.
and gave it a blu ray burner
revised the gpu and went with sli 1070's, still think its stupid, but if you need 60fps 4k that would be better then 2 1080's when it works.
came out cheaper
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QghHJV

But as close to ryzen as this is, not worth it in the slightest and with vega on the way, good or bad its likely going to force a 1080ti and a shift down in price for the 1070 and 1080

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
I mean, an asymmetric looking front door that appears to extend past the bottom of the case is certainly an aesthetic I look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.