News DigiTimes: Intel to Announce Advanced Thermal Module at CES

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In Intel’s design, by contrast, a vapor chamber will replace the current modules, and will be attached with a graphite sheet that is placed behind the screen. To make this possible, the hinges have to be redesigned to allow the graphite to go through for conducting the heat.
This is wild.

So, they're using the vapor chamber to transfer heat from the CPU to a graphite sheet. Now, graphite is basically a 3D extension of graphene, which is noted for its extreme thermal conductivity (except it's only a 2D arrangement of carbon atoms, so it's relatively efficient, but doesn't scale well, for moving large quantities of heat).

The thing I'd worry about is degrading the integrity of that graphite sheet running through the hinge, every time I opened and closed the laptop lid! I wonder how many opens & closes before it starts to degrade, measurably? And what if it had a strong knock on the part of the hinge - couldn't that damage it?

Finally, would the heat have any impact on the display quality?

I get the point of wanting to radiate the heat out the back of the lid, but I'm still not sure about this. Is there any other way to build a heat-exchanger into the hinge? Maybe you could intercoil two heat pipes, lubricated by some graphite...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
An improved cooling design might also be helpful for Intel's first discrete graphics card, DG1, which could help to double Tiger Lake's graphics power with its additional 96 execution units.
Oof. That was hardly a graceful way to sneak in that link.

No, this has nothing to do with that. From the sound of it, the DG1 will be too small for a vapor chamber (which are standard fare, in higher-end graphics cards). And the graphite sheet would have no place in it, either.