[SOLVED] Dilemma pls help, beat wifi/ ethernet option

Deston Muo

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
Im in a bit of a dilemma, in my room there is no ethernet ports and i just finished building my pc, i am willing to spend 55ish dollars on any solutions, i do have a coaxial cable wired and i heard that i can use a moca connection???

or and wifi extenders or anything decent that will get me relative speeds to ethernet

Solution
You could buy a wifi card but you will get nowhere near ethernet speeds and it is subject to interference so you don't want to play online games. Wifi will work for games but you need a extremely strong and steady signal which most people do not have.

Moca will work great. Some of the newer units claim they can run 2.5g. Not sure about that but you can easily get 1gbit. The problem is they are way over your price range. You need 2 units one for each end and just a single unit costs about $60. The brand that is very popular and cheap is gocoax.

You might also consider powerline units. Even the fastest ones are not going to give you over 300mbps. Again price is the problem. A pair of fastest units costs over $100. You...
How’s your WiFi by your computer?
Does your computer have WiFi?
Do you need a WiFi card, router, both?

Could you run Ethernet? Running it isn’t hard. It’s more a matter of if you are allowed to than able to.

Do you have an old laptop with decent WiFi? You could always kludge it by bridging and Internet connection sharing.

You could buy a wifi card but you will get nowhere near ethernet speeds and it is subject to interference so you don't want to play online games. Wifi will work for games but you need a extremely strong and steady signal which most people do not have.

Moca will work great. Some of the newer units claim they can run 2.5g. Not sure about that but you can easily get 1gbit. The problem is they are way over your price range. You need 2 units one for each end and just a single unit costs about $60. The brand that is very popular and cheap is gocoax.

You might also consider powerline units. Even the fastest ones are not going to give you over 300mbps. Again price is the problem. A pair of fastest units costs over $100. You might be able to get units that are called av1000 near your price range but you will be very lucky to get 200mbps. Do not buy powerline with a number less than 1000. Do not buy the ones that say 500 or 600 these are all based on old technology and you are lucky to get 100mbps over them.

Reactions: Deston Muo
Solution

Deston Muo

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
How’s your WiFi by your computer?
Does your computer have WiFi?
Do you need a WiFi card, router, both?

Could you run Ethernet? Running it isn’t hard. It’s more a matter of if you are allowed to than able to.

Do you have an old laptop with decent WiFi? You could always kludge it by bridging and Internet connection sharing.
Wifi is fine i get relative download speeds its only the fact that im stuttering, it doesnt happen on ethernet tho

Deston Muo

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020

You might also consider powerline units. Even the fastest ones are not going to give you over 300mbps. Again price is the problem. A pair of fastest units costs over $100. You might be able to get units that are called av1000 near your price range but you will be very lucky to get 200mbps. Do not buy powerline with a number less than 1000. Do not buy the ones that say 500 or 600 these are all based on old technology and you are lucky to get 100mbps over them.
For a moca a found this video, this guy is only using one and i can buy one used on amazon for 55,
View: https://youtu.be/eZDFRDCX-w0
, my only scare is that the coax port might not work, i mean i have direct tv and its connected by coax but im not sure the one in my room works or not

For a moca a found this video, this guy is only using one and i can buy one used on amazon for 55,
View: https://youtu.be/eZDFRDCX-w0
, my only scare is that the coax port might not work, i mean i have direct tv and its connected by coax but im not sure the one in my room works or not

MoCA adapters will interfere with DirecTV. Unless you can isolate the line going from your room to the room with your router or switch.

http://www.mocainyourhouse.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=51934

Deston Muo

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
MoCA adapters will interfere with DirecTV. Unless you can isolate the line going from your room to the room with your router or switch.

http://www.mocainyourhouse.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=51934
Yea just checked again and realized my router doesnt have its own built in moca like the dude said…. There goes my plan, is there any good wifi cards for 50 ish dollars? I dont need relative speeds i just need maybe 3/4 even 2/3 advertised

Your wifi speed depends on your router also. The card and the router will negotiate the fastest common speed.

The numbers you see on wifi devices are huge lies. They do stuff like add transmit and receive speed and other deceptive stuff. It would be like calling gbit ethernet cable 2gbit but ethernet can actually send and receive 1gbit at the same time unlike wifi.

If you look at fairly average equipment on 2,4g you might get 100mbps most people get far less. On 5g you might get 300mbps. You can't add the 100 and the 300 though like the box does because a single device can not use both bands as the same time.

Now there is newer wifi 6 stuff but you likely would have to replace your router. That can get 600mbps for top end equipment.

The speed you actually get on wifi is impossible to predict. It depends way too much on how your house is built. You could have a single concrete wall between you and the router and you can get no signal at all.

In general most people have routers that support a number between 1200-1450 so you want to buy a similar card. These cards are fairly inexpensive. The best cards have antenna lead so you can extend the antenna to the top of the case. I think there are cards in your price range.
Avoid unknown brands they likely work but support is harder. TPlink, Asus,linksys, etc all make quality product.

Do not expect magic if you get 200-300 on the 5g band you are doing great. You will still get random lag spikes in online games because your neighbors signals will interfere.