[SOLVED] Dilemma: RTX3080 - MSI Gaming X Trio or ASUS ROG Strix

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So, I am planning to buy a RTX 3080 as soon as I can get my hands on it. Originally, I planned to get the MSI Gaming X Trio, mostly due to the facts that they usually come with pretty good binned chips and that they by far have the best cooler in terms of noise. The reviews that are out so far give the cooler top ratings and it is supposed to be very very silent card. Also, I buy MSI for many years and never had any issues with them. But here is the big BUT: besides the fact that they have a very good and silent cooler, it seems that MSI is cutting quite a few corners. I really don't like the fact that trying to sell us a graphite covered plastic plate and call it "GRAPHENE" (what it is not). I also very much confused about the fact that they gave the card three 8 pin power connectors, but put the power limit much lower than on the 3080 Founders Edition (and much much much lower than what is expected on the ROG Strix). What the heck is the point of 3x 8 pin connectors?!?!? Furthermore, lets talk about "CAPgate". They are using one MLCC cap and five POSCAPS on the back of the GPU. This might be sufficient, but maybe not. The founders edition is using two MLCCS and four POSCAPS, and ASUS doesn't cut any corners and uses six MLCC caps and no POSCAPS what really shows that they don't want to do compromises.

So, now I am leaning towards the ASUS ROG Strix. But, I hesitate a little. There is a lot what I like. The fact that they really lifted the power limit (so the three 8 pin connectors have a purpose), that they have a very high factory clock (which tells me the really only use good bin 3 chips), and that they only use those MLCC capacitors. But I really hesitate because this card is much louder than the Gaming X Trio and it will cost me around $100 more.

So, first, what is your take on that? What would you do? I will definitely buy one of those two cards, don't suggest any other ones.

Second, does anyone have experience with ROG Strix cards? I know the cards have dual bios for performance and silent mode. As far as I understand the difference is mostly the fan curve profile. So, performance bios has higher fan speeds, louder, but cooler and therefore higher boost clocks and silent mode bios lower fan speeds, higher temps, and lower boost clocks? Do I get that kinda right? Based on 3090 reviews it seems that the ASUS ROG Strix even with the quiet mode bios is still louder than the MSI Gaming X Trio.

I am really torn. It seems ASUS ROG Strix 3080 cards are supposed to go on sale some time this week, so I wonder if I should try to get one if I am lucky enough to get one in my cart....

Last edited:
Solution
It seems that reason might be poor choice on those capacitors, since this is a problem at higher frequencies around 2000Mhz. the RTX 3080 usually clocks a little higher than the 3090s, also in the case of MSI they use two MLCC caps on the 3090 trio, but only one MLCC cap on the RTX 3080. EVGA already confirmed the the problems are cause by the caps and they will change the design to add more MLCCs and replace all older boards. MSI said the problem is driver related and they probably change nothing until they feel pressure from people like me considering switching to ASUS or EVGA....

It seems like most cards with crash problems are cards that only use POSCAPS and no MLCCs. That design might work in some case when the GPU won the...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I would wait to be honest with the things happening with 3080 and see if there any fixes that come out heard many cards 3080 are having crashing issues but not heard about 3090 yet or anyone complaining about that card but 3080 are having issues

It seems that reason might be poor choice on those capacitors, since this is a problem at higher frequencies around 2000Mhz. the RTX 3080 usually clocks a little higher than the 3090s, also in the case of MSI they use two MLCC caps on the 3090 trio, but only one MLCC cap on the RTX 3080. EVGA already confirmed the the problems are cause by the caps and they will change the design to add more MLCCs and replace all older boards. MSI said the problem is driver related and they probably change nothing until they feel pressure from people like me considering switching to ASUS or EVGA....

It seems like most cards with crash problems are cards that only use POSCAPS and no MLCCs. That design might work in some case when the GPU won the silicone lottery, but with weaker chips this seems to be a problem.

Exeonx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

It seems like most cards with crash problems are cards that only use POSCAPS and no MLCCs. That design might work in some case when the GPU won the silicone lottery, but with weaker chips this seems to be a problem.

Actually it's been pretty clear that since the FE model has the same issues it can't be solely a capacitor issue.
EVGA did state they had issues, the retail models have a revised system over what was sent to reviewers, yet the crashes still happen, so their message might be entirely unrelated.

You can just get the ASUS TUF or STRIX both having 6 MLCC's to be safe, but I've seen claims saying that isn't an optimal setup either.

If your card has issues the fix is to lower the boost clock by 50Mhz and the power limit to 95%, in practice you get no real performance impact on the card.

Pretty sure no one would have thought less of the 3080 if on benchmarks they had a couple of FPS less then right now

Solution