Dillema, aftermarket CPU air cooler or watercooler to buy?

civic1

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Ok, so basically after so many years of having decent parts for my PC it's time for me to delve into the world of overclocking. I've been upgrading bits and pieces in the past year and all I've got left for now is to decide on what the best aftermarket CPU cooler to get and futureproof is a must be. Also want to get into PC gaming too after many years of console gaming, better late then never :)

I'd appreciate if someone can help me in this, budget is upto £100 dependant on best/quality but I'd prefer if I coud spend as much less as possible as I am on a strict budget. Trying to save up money for another ssd drive, amd fx8150/8350, and another R9 270X for crossfiring.

I've mixed some old components with some new ever since my old msi 790fx-gd70 motherboard died on me a couple of months back.
Heres a list of what my build is in order of most recent parts:

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced edition case <-- still to put together
Corsair CS650M 650W PSU <-- still to put together (NB. is this a decent PSU for this kind of build with consideration with futureproof?)
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD <-- still to put together
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X OC 2GB with Boost graphics card
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ motherboard
LG IPS 234V-PN 23" monitor
4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3 ram (for clearance info - Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport.. | Ebuyer.com
AMD Phenom II 955 X4 Black Edition processor (still going strong after 4 years - never overclocked) currently using stock cooler
2 x 400GB Seagate Baracudda 7200RPM sata hard drive
Liteon IHAS optical drive

I am looking to upgrade my CPU to a AMD FX8150/8350 (dependant on budgets/offers) and then overclocking that to AMD FX9590 limits later in the near future. My current CPU will be my beginners testing and learning platform for me to go on. Will be testing on pushing it to the limits and maintaining stabilities. Whatever aftermarket CPU cooler I decide to opt for will be used on any future AMD cpu I end up getting, hence the futureproof.

Just like to point out, I've never used a watercooler in my life but I have been interested in them for a while now, just been scared about stories of leakages, etc. Maybe someone can tell me otherwise..

Also If anyone with this similar build that have done overclocking, I'd appreciate any tips/pointers/links if possible.

Thanks in advance :)

Freakboi_pa

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Personally I'd go with the NH-D14, I own this now. Had an H80I and it would run warm <80 - 90c> during gaming on an overclocked Intel 3770 Now with the NH-D14 I am getting 50 - 60C with the same overclock, and case fan setup.

civic1

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Although I do have the option to install a H100i/H110i with regards to the case, I'm still weary of issues that could possibly arise. I would love to try out a watercooling system at least once in my life though lol.

I did have a look at the Noctuas before a long time back ago, are they like the best of the best out of all the air coolers in the market at the moment? How does it compare to the Thermalright Silver Arrow-SBE or the Coolermaster ones?

Also what is the recommened direction to have the fans sitting on the cpu?

It's not a "real" watercooling solution, it's more or less just a fancy air cooler. An actual, full, liquid cooling setup will give significantly more reduction vs anything closed loop.

Freakboi_pa

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I don't know if it is the "best of the best". I haven't tried the others. I am VERY pleased with the results I am getting out of it. Compared to bothe the H80I and also a custom water cooling system.
You can always do what I do. Buy something, try it, if you don't like it, sell it. Yeah, you loose money on it, but you know for the future. I know I will not buy Corsair liquid cooling systems, for my use. If someone asks me to buy and install for them, fine.... but I would inform them of my experience and opinion of the product.