Dim4700, second hard disk - not SATA, but IDE.

Anyone had to add an older IDE hard disk to a Dim4700 (with only 1 optical
drive installed and no future plans for a second)?

Just grab some hardware 3.5" to 5.25" metal adapters and mount it in the
optical bay?

That's my plan - just wondered if anyone else had done this yet. (or on a
Dim8400, for that matter )

Thanks,

Stew

> Anyone had to add an older IDE hard disk to a Dim4700 (with only 1 optical
> drive installed and no future plans for a second)?
>
> Just grab some hardware 3.5" to 5.25" metal adapters and mount it in the
> optical bay?
>
> That's my plan - just wondered if anyone else had done this yet. (or on a
> Dim8400, for that matter )
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stew

For example:

http://tekgems.com/Products/35-to-525-drive-adapter-bracket.htm

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> writes:
>Anyone had to add an older IDE hard disk to a Dim4700 (with only 1 optical
>drive installed and no future plans for a second)?
>Just grab some hardware 3.5" to 5.25" metal adapters and mount it in the
>optical bay?
>That's my plan - just wondered if anyone else had done this yet. (or on a
>Dim8400, for that matter )

The IDE ribbon cable on the second controller is ata33 - so it might be
worthwhile investing in a newer IDE cable to ramp up the speed.

I found that RedHat9 Linux had trouble supporting DMA mode to the disk
on the second controller. Upgrading to 2.4.29 kernel and switching the
bios into normal mode allows everything to run at full speed. Windows
might experience a similar problem of recognizing the controller properly
(or recognizing it enough to run full speed).

Good luck!

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net