Dimension 3000 mobo swap

Hi All,
Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
Two questions:
1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
connector?

cheers
ric

1. Power supply pinout standard? Yes.
2. Front panel connector pinout standard? I haven't seen the innards of a
Dimension 3000 yet, but if they are like any of the other Pentium 4 Dimensions,
the front panel connectors are decidedly non-standard.
3. The PSU has got to have 12V 4-pin P4 connector. I've not seen a name-brand
P4 system without one. Wattage? Don't know. Open up the chassis and find out,
or look up the system on the Dell web site.

Then tell your customer that a mobo swap in a Dell P4 system is highly
impractical and not cost effective. Better to sell another (standard) chassis
and mobo and transplant the guts of the Dell into it. And it's fair game to ask
why your customer would want to do this in the first place... Ben Myers

On 28 Jan 2005 06:14:16 -0800, "ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
>He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
>Two questions:
>1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
>2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
>3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
>connector?
>
>cheers
>ric

1. Yes.
2. No. It's a Dell/Mitac specfic harness.
3. 250W, yes, the 3000 is the last of the Dimensions to use an ATX12V
power supply - the 4700, 8400 and XPS have migrated to the 24-in BTX
connector.

ric wrote:
> Hi All,
> Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
> He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
> Two questions:
> 1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
> 2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
> 3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
> connector?
>
> cheers
> ric

I've too got a Dell D300 and looking to replace the mobo. According to some
members on the Dell forum (Dell site), the D4600 mobo will fit into the
D3000 with no problems. You can't use standard PSU gotta be Dell type or if
you plan to use standard PSU you need a convertor. Loads of such question on
this available on Dell forum site.

"ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
> He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
> Two questions:
> 1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
> 2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
> 3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
> connector?
>
> cheers
> ric

I have my doubts about the PSU being non-standard. Someone gutted a Dell
Dimension case, I got a Dell 4300 mobo and a generic Antec P4-capable ATX power
supply, put it in the case, hooked up the motherboard and they all lived happily
ever after.

As for the connectors to the front panel, THAT is where the non-standard stuff
is. Effectively, another Dell mobo mounted on a Dell-standard mounting plate is
the only real option, and not all models of Dell mobo would work due to
variations in the cabling to the front panel among models.

What is wrong with the Dimension 3000 motherboard that you all want to replace
it? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:00:43 +0000 (UTC), "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've too got a Dell D300 and looking to replace the mobo. According to some
>members on the Dell forum (Dell site), the D4600 mobo will fit into the
>D3000 with no problems. You can't use standard PSU gotta be Dell type or if
>you plan to use standard PSU you need a convertor. Loads of such question on
>this available on Dell forum site.
>
>"ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>> Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
>> He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
>> Two questions:
>> 1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
>> 2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
>> 3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
>> connector?
>>
>> cheers
>> ric

BTX looks like ATX, except that it is larger? Same pinout as used in many P4
Intel servers and used in some Compaq DeskPro boxes? ... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:30:23 -0500, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>1. Yes.
>2. No. It's a Dell/Mitac specfic harness.
>3. 250W, yes, the 3000 is the last of the Dimensions to use an ATX12V
>power supply - the 4700, 8400 and XPS have migrated to the 24-in BTX
>connector.
>

>ric wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Got a customer with a new Dim3000.
>> He wants a mobo swap: don't ask why.
>> Two questions:
>> 1) are the PSUs standard pin outs on these?
>> 2) are the front panel connectors standard pin-outs?
>> 3) what's the PSU wattage and do they come with a P4 square power
>> connector?
>>
>> cheers
>> ric

I rushed into buying this machine due to the price, without fully checking
the spec. only to find out it doesn't have AGP slot.