Dimension 3000 Recovery Partition

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Once the HDD in a new Dimension 3000 has been repartitioned / reformatted
and Windows XP reinstalled, is the factory recovery partition (Shows as CP/M
format in fdisk) completely unsusable ever again. I no longer get the
www.dell.com screen on bootup (where you use Ctrl F11).

Thanks for any help.

Trev.

If you deleted the diags partition, it is gone.

"TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Once the HDD in a new Dimension 3000 has been repartitioned / reformatted
> and Windows XP reinstalled, is the factory recovery partition (Shows as
> CP/M format in fdisk) completely unsusable ever again. I no longer get
> the www.dell.com screen on bootup (where you use Ctrl F11).
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Trev.

If you repartitioned with anything other than a tool like PartitionMagic,
it's definately gone.

> If you deleted the diags partition, it is gone.
>
> "TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Once the HDD in a new Dimension 3000 has been repartitioned / reformatted
>> and Windows XP reinstalled, is the factory recovery partition (Shows as
>> CP/M format in fdisk) completely unsusable ever again. I no longer get
>> the www.dell.com screen on bootup (where you use Ctrl F11).
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Trev.

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

The diags partition and the 2.75Gb CP/M partition (which I assume is the
image) are both still there, all I did was delete the main system partition
and made it into 2 (I use the D drive for shared data) Then reinstalled XP
from the CD.

What I really am asking is... Is the 2.75Gb partition of any use to me now?
is there a way to access it? Would I be able to use this should I want to
return the computer to its original factory state?

It seems to me that I still have the image but not the Dell / Symantec
restore software to access it.

Trev.

> If you repartitioned with anything other than a tool like PartitionMagic,
> it's definately gone.
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If you deleted the diags partition, it is gone.
>>
>> "TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Once the HDD in a new Dimension 3000 has been repartitioned /
>>> reformatted and Windows XP reinstalled, is the factory recovery
>>> partition (Shows as CP/M format in fdisk) completely unsusable ever
>>> again. I no longer get the www.dell.com screen on bootup (where you use
>>> Ctrl F11).
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> Trev.

I'd be interested to know too if the image can be restored. Not that you
would ever use it as you have a functioning OS now, which you could image
and have a new backup.

Brian

> The diags partition and the 2.75Gb CP/M partition (which I assume is the
> image) are both still there, all I did was delete the main system
> partition and made it into 2 (I use the D drive for shared data) Then
> reinstalled XP from the CD.
>
> What I really am asking is... Is the 2.75Gb partition of any use to me
> now? is there a way to access it? Would I be able to use this should I
> want to return the computer to its original factory state?
>
> It seems to me that I still have the image but not the Dell / Symantec
> restore software to access it.
>
> Trev.

>> If you repartitioned with anything other than a tool like PartitionMagic,
>> it's definately gone.
>>
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you deleted the diags partition, it is gone.
>>>
>>> "TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

As i see it, the recovery software was on the original C drive, it's not on
the supplied CD's as far as I can tell. I've tried to access the image with
Ghost 9.0 and 2003 but neither seem to recognise it.

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'd be interested to know too if the image can be restored. Not that you
> would ever use it as you have a functioning OS now, which you could image
> and have a new backup.
>
> Brian
>

> "TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The diags partition and the 2.75Gb CP/M partition (which I assume is the
>> image) are both still there, all I did was delete the main system
>> partition and made it into 2 (I use the D drive for shared data) Then
>> reinstalled XP from the CD.
>>
>> What I really am asking is... Is the 2.75Gb partition of any use to me
>> now? is there a way to access it? Would I be able to use this should I
>> want to return the computer to its original factory state?
>>
>> It seems to me that I still have the image but not the Dell / Symantec
>> restore software to access it.
>>
>> Trev.
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> If you repartitioned with anything other than a tool like
>>> PartitionMagic, it's definately gone.
>>>
>>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That's my understanding too.

> As i see it, the recovery software was on the original C drive, it's not
> on the supplied CD's as far as I can tell. I've tried to access the image
> with Ghost 9.0 and 2003 but neither seem to recognise it.

As far as I know, the only 'standard' way to reach it is via the utility
partition or by creating an image CD from start/programs....

Stew

> That's my understanding too.
>

> "TW" <trevw69@spamawayhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> As i see it, the recovery software was on the original C drive, it's not
>> on the supplied CD's as far as I can tell. I've tried to access the
>> image with Ghost 9.0 and 2003 but neither seem to recognise it.

Do you know what software is used to create/ restore the Dell image?

Brian

> As far as I know, the only 'standard' way to reach it is via the utility
> partition or by creating an image CD from start/programs....
>
> Stew

Hit CTL+F11 and what you're apparently seeing is an image restore using
Ghost, or at least that is what the GUI looks like.

Stew

> Do you know what software is used to create/ restore the Dell image?
>
> Brian
>

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> As far as I know, the only 'standard' way to reach it is via the utility
>> partition or by creating an image CD from start/programs....
>>
>> Stew

I deleted the partition the day the computer arrived but I should have
looked more closely, out of interest value.

Brian

> Hit CTL+F11 and what you're apparently seeing is an image restore using
> Ghost, or at least that is what the GUI looks like.
>

> Stew
>

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Do you know what software is used to create/ restore the Dell image?
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> As far as I know, the only 'standard' way to reach it is via the utility
>>> partition or by creating an image CD from start/programs....
>>>
>>> Stew

TW

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Ghost 2003 cannot even see the partition, not sure if I'm missing something
(like a version of DOS that recognises the CP/M partition)

It must be a version of ghost though as the recovery program is called
Dell/Symantec PC restore and does look remarkably like ghost.

Trev.

> Ghost 2003 cannot even see the partition, not sure if I'm missing
> something (like a version of DOS that recognises the CP/M partition)
>
> It must be a version of ghost though as the recovery program is called
> Dell/Symantec PC restore and does look remarkably like ghost.
>
> Trev.

Yeah. It's probably a proprietary version of some sort. Restores fast as
hell. Less than 10 minutes versus their old utility (ZTech/ZZtop in Win9X)
which took somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes.

Some of that difference is likely hardware performance. (1998 versus
current).

Stew