Dimension 4500 - I want to put 4 GB (2 x 2GB) sticks of DDR SDRAM in it

Deekinger

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello - my first post. I'm not cheap, I'm just having fun and keeping materials out of the waste stream when they work perfectly well. I am not a computer expert, and I have done lots of research before coming here. I was recently given a MINT CONDITION Dimension 4500 with XP SP3 and perfect HP widescreen monitor.
P4 - 2GHz
currently - 1gb and 256 = RAM.
Other components are original.
I have added a NetGear USB Wireless adapter dual mode 2.4/5
It runs very smoothly and feels brand new. I want to maximize the RAM to get the internet to load faster for surfing and research and be able to view Youtube and enjoy music and recording, using Audacity. I really just use it to write and for that it can't be beat. I have maximized Firefox in the auto:config. and also run IE w/o add ons. It works fine, just too slow, but really not bad at all.
I have heard that I can put 4 GB of Ram in it - 2 x 2 GB sticks of SDRAM (Best Buy guys confirmed this 2x). I know they weren't made when the machine was, however I am told that it is now possible as long as it is DDR SDRAM - of course the correct # of pins. What do I need to do to accomplish this, e.g. - will other components need to be upgraded?
How do I know the precise specifics - where in the machine/manual do I find the specs I need?
If REALLY NOT POSSIBLE, will two 1GB sticks make a noticeable difference and is there a premium brand/model stick?
Thank you very much for the information. Daniel (Deekinger)