dimension 5000 or 8400

Hi,

I'm about to replace my old Dimension 4100 with a new computer. I'm
choosing between a Dimension 5000 and a Dimension 8400. Regardless of
which I choose, I'll go with a 2.8 or a 3.0 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM and
the most basic PCIe-card Dell offers. Other than that, I don't know.

The computer will be used for image processing, some cd-ripping and
converting into flac and standard office applications. There won't be a
single game installed on it.

What are the suggestions in terms of:
- Dimension model - what are the differences?
- harddrive (10k/7k RPM) - will 10k make any difference?
- processor speed - is there a notable difference between 2.8 and 3.0?

Which of the two are the noisier? (I've read that 5000 is supposed to
be BTX, but can't find any official Dell documentation confirming
that.)

Thanks!

The 5000 is in fact BTX, but is only for sale on the
Dell Euro site at this time. Full details there.

"thoresson" <listor@thoresson.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to replace my old Dimension 4100 with a new computer. I'm
> choosing between a Dimension 5000 and a Dimension 8400. Regardless of
> which I choose, I'll go with a 2.8 or a 3.0 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM and
> the most basic PCIe-card Dell offers. Other than that, I don't know.
>
> The computer will be used for image processing, some cd-ripping and
> converting into flac and standard office applications. There won't be
> single game installed on it.
>
> What are the suggestions in terms of:
> - Dimension model - what are the differences?
> - harddrive (10k/7k RPM) - will 10k make any difference?
> - processor speed - is there a notable difference between 2.8 and 3.0?
>
> Which of the two are the noisier? (I've read that 5000 is supposed to
> be BTX, but can't find any official Dell documentation confirming
> that.)
>
> Thanks!

Forgot, the 5000 is on the US support site also.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/index.htm

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The 5000 is in fact BTX, but is only for sale on the
> Dell Euro site at this time. Full details there.
>

> "thoresson" <listor@thoresson.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm about to replace my old Dimension 4100 with a new computer. I'm
>> choosing between a Dimension 5000 and a Dimension 8400. Regardless of
>> which I choose, I'll go with a 2.8 or a 3.0 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM
>> and
>> the most basic PCIe-card Dell offers. Other than that, I don't know.
>>
>> The computer will be used for image processing, some cd-ripping and
>> converting into flac and standard office applications. There won't be
>> single game installed on it.
>>
>> What are the suggestions in terms of:
>> - Dimension model - what are the differences?
>> - harddrive (10k/7k RPM) - will 10k make any difference?
>> - processor speed - is there a notable difference between 2.8 and
>> 3.0?
>>
>> Which of the two are the noisier? (I've read that 5000 is supposed to
>> be BTX, but can't find any official Dell documentation confirming
>> that.)
>>
>> Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS