Dimension 5000?

Hi ALL.

I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an ad
by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case. In this ad we can
no longer find the Dimension 4600/4700. Does any of you know if this
new 5000 is going to replace the 4600/4700 in 2005? I have heard that
the 4700 had a very good performance in terms of noise and I intended
to purchase one in the beginning of the new year. Do you know if we
can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find any
using Google.

Thanks.

you can read about it in the language of your choice starting here...
http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/systems/dim5000/

"Ponkan" <amai_ponkan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ALL.
>
> I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an ad
> by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
> 5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
> of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case. In this ad we can
> no longer find the Dimension 4600/4700. Does any of you know if this
> new 5000 is going to replace the 4600/4700 in 2005? I have heard that
> the 4700 had a very good performance in terms of noise and I intended
> to purchase one in the beginning of the new year. Do you know if we
> can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find any
> using Google.
>
> Thanks.

Chris,
I wasn't able to get to that link. It changed it to a support page that
asked for your country of choice.
Paul

> you can read about it in the language of your choice starting here...
> http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/systems/dim5000/
>
> "Ponkan" <amai_ponkan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi ALL.
>>
>> I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an ad
>> by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
>> 5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
>> of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case. In this ad we can
>> no longer find the Dimension 4600/4700. Does any of you know if this
>> new 5000 is going to replace the 4600/4700 in 2005? I have heard that
>> the 4700 had a very good performance in terms of noise and I intended
>> to purchase one in the beginning of the new year. Do you know if we
>> can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find any
>> using Google.
>>
>> Thanks.

So did you click English?

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Chris,
> I wasn't able to get to that link. It changed it to a support page
> that asked for your country of choice.
> Paul
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> you can read about it in the language of your choice starting here...
>> http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/systems/dim5000/
>>
>> "Ponkan" <amai_ponkan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ALL.
>>>
>>> I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an
>>> ad
>>> by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
>>> 5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
>>> of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case. In this ad we can
>>> no longer find the Dimension 4600/4700. Does any of you know if this
>>> new 5000 is going to replace the 4600/4700 in 2005? I have heard
>>> that
>>> the 4700 had a very good performance in terms of noise and I
>>> intended
>>> to purchase one in the beginning of the new year. Do you know if we
>>> can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find
>>> any
>>> using Google.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

This looks like the new BTX style system (at least I would guess so,
since I haven't seen the specs of BTX). The oposite side of the case
opens up (the right side when viewed from the front, the case fan is at
the front, it's a tool-free design, and *finally* comes with media card
reader. It also weighs 4 more pounds!

Ponkan wrote:
> I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an ad
> by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
> 5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
> of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case.

except for case design this dimension 5000 you speak of is most likely
a 4700 which has been renamed for a different market. when dell moves
it's pc product line forward they usually don't make leaps and bounds
in the model name game. for instance the 4550 was replaced by the 4600
a couple of years ago and now the 4600 is no longer in favor of the
4700. so i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 5000 since it will
probably never appear(at least in name) on these shores. what you will
most likely see is the same case design as the european 5000 on the
current 4700 some time in the near future. in fact word has it dell
will be changing there case design across the board. which in my
opinion is not worth putting off your purchase if you want a computer
now. also when shopping dell remember that there machines are highly
configurable, so it pays to look at the model above and below the one
your considering as you you may be able to get a lot more computer for
a little more dough if you move up a little or just a bit less computer
for alot less dough if you move down a little.

alternatively you can just visit support.dell.com, log on, and instead of
entering a tag number select 'dimension' then '5000'... as is often the
case, they list the technical support information before they even begin to
sell the machine... appears to be listed on north american and uk/europe
support sites, but it is not listed for sale... did not look on their asian
sites...

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Chris,
> I wasn't able to get to that link. It changed it to a support page that
> asked for your country of choice.
> Paul
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> you can read about it in the language of your choice starting here...
>> http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/systems/dim5000/
>>
>> "Ponkan" <amai_ponkan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ALL.
>>>
>>> I've just saw in a French computer magazine (dated January 2005) an ad
>>> by Dell that called my attention. It was about a brand new Dimension
>>> 5000. From what I could see it has exactly the same configuration as
>>> of the Dimension 4700, excepted the external case. In this ad we can
>>> no longer find the Dimension 4600/4700. Does any of you know if this
>>> new 5000 is going to replace the 4600/4700 in 2005? I have heard that
>>> the 4700 had a very good performance in terms of noise and I intended
>>> to purchase one in the beginning of the new year. Do you know if we
>>> can find any info about this Dimension 5000? I was no able to find any
>>> using Google.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

If you look at the diagram of the motherboard it is BTX.

"Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> If you look at the diagram of the motherboard it is BTX.

Anyone got a link to the 5000?

The Dim8400 and 4700 are both BTX (and LGA775/SocketT). Not sure, but it
would appear that the 4700C is also.

Since I've not handled any homebuilt BTX systems, I assume this is the new
standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be proprietary
either (like their latter ATX systems).

Stew

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/sm/index.htm

> "Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > If you look at the diagram of the motherboard it is BTX.
> >

> Anyone got a link to the 5000?
>
> The Dim8400 and 4700 are both BTX (and LGA775/SocketT). Not sure, but it
> would appear that the 4700C is also.
>
> Since I've not handled any homebuilt BTX systems, I assume this is the new
> standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be proprietary
> either (like their latter ATX systems).
>

> Stew

The 8400 and 4700 use ATX motherboards . The 5000 is the first to use a true
BTX motherboard.

> "Tom Morton" <tomspam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > If you look at the diagram of the motherboard it is BTX.
> >

> Anyone got a link to the 5000?
>
> The Dim8400 and 4700 are both BTX (and LGA775/SocketT). Not sure, but it
> would appear that the 4700C is also.
>
> Since I've not handled any homebuilt BTX systems, I assume this is the new
> standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be proprietary
> either (like their latter ATX systems).
>

> Stew

The 5000 drops rear panel PS2 support for the Keyboard and Mouse
although there is a mobo connector for PS2.
The PCI is 2.3 instead of 2.2 and the floppy disk is USB
as it lives in the same space as the media card reader
would go. It's one or the other.
The case is noticeably larger than the 4700.

http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/

> The Dim8400 and 4700 are both BTX (and LGA775/SocketT). Not sure, but it
> would appear that the 4700C is also.

In that case, what is BTX? The internal layout of the 8400 looks
identical to my older 8300 and 8200 and they certainly are not BTX.
OTOH, the 5000 has a totally different internal layout.

> Since I've not handled any homebuilt BTX systems, I assume this is
the > new standard and hopefully these new Dell power supplies won't be
> proprietary either (like their latter ATX systems).

Dell hasn't used proprietary connectors and form factors in their tower
cases in over three years. The small desktop (Dimensions with "S" at the
end) and small form factor (those with "C" at the end) cases are the
exception.

sickboy2all@aol.com wrote:
> except for case design this dimension 5000 you speak of is most likely
> a 4700 which has been renamed for a different market. when dell moves
> it's pc product line forward they usually don't make leaps and bounds
> in the model name game. for instance the 4550 was replaced by the 4600
> a couple of years ago and now the 4600 is no longer in favor of the
> 4700. so i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 5000 since it will
> probably never appear(at least in name) on these shores.

Please look at the reference
http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/

The internal layout and motherboard are completely different designs.
Since the docs are available at the US site, expect the 5000 to be
released here in the next week or two.

More about BTX than you would ever want to know.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/95346.htm