Dimension 8400 & hyperthreading

The hyperthreading setting is OFF by default on my new Dimension 8400. I
understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed to
take advantage of that technology will run faster.

But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?

Cleburne

Patrick Cleburne wrote:
> The hyperthreading setting is OFF by default on my new Dimension 8400. I
> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed to
> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
>
> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
>
> Cleburne

There should be no siginificant downsides, performance will vary by
application -- and some may suffer -- but in general it will be
beneficial. Don't expect a difference of more than a few percent;
generally you can notice the difference when multitasking. I pretty much
always leave it on and never have problems.

"Patrick Cleburne" <reb@_rebyell.xcom> wrote in message
> The hyperthreading setting is OFF by default on my new Dimension 8400. I
> understand that if I turn it on, certain programs that have been designed
> take advantage of that technology will run faster.
>
> But are there any downsides or performance hits to turning it on?
>
> Cleburne

Thanks to all for the info!

Cleburne

TRENDING THREADS