Dimension 8400 Question

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Do all Dell Dimension 8400's have the PCI Express bus ? And would one
note a performance (mostly for games) difference between 400 Mhz RAM
and 533 Mhz ? Thanks!

Mike
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> Do all Dell Dimension 8400's have the PCI Express bus ? And would one
> note a performance (mostly for games) difference between 400 Mhz RAM
> and 533 Mhz ? Thanks!
>
> Mike

Yes, the 8400 is now shipping with PCI-Exress for video. The AGP slot
is gone.

I opted for the 533Mhz RAM on my 8400 because it was only $20 more than
the 400 Mhz ram. In all honesty, I doubt you would see much real world
performance difference between the two ram speeds. Benchmarks may show
a tangible difference, but if it doesn't equate out to noticeable
performance improvements, what is the point?
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:50:58 -0500, "Patrick L. Parks"
<TryThis@wontwork.com> wrote:

>Yes, the 8400 is now shipping with PCI-Exress for video. The AGP slot
>is gone.
>
>I opted for the 533Mhz RAM on my 8400 because it was only $20 more than
>the 400 Mhz ram. In all honesty, I doubt you would see much real world
>performance difference between the two ram speeds. Benchmarks may show
>a tangible difference, but if it doesn't equate out to noticeable
>performance improvements, what is the point?

Thanks for the input Patrick. Another question I have and am having
trouble "googleing" the answer for is what is the main difference
between the Pentium 4 Processor 550 and 540 ? I was looking over some
of the refurbished units and note they have the 550 P 4 while the new
one's have the 540. Does anyone know the differences ? Thanks.

Mike
 

Mike

Splendid
Apr 1, 2004
3,869
0
22,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:02:27 GMT, Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:


>Thanks for the input Patrick. Another question I have and am having
>trouble "googleing" the answer for is what is the main difference
>between the Pentium 4 Processor 550 and 540 ? I was looking over some
>of the refurbished units and note they have the 550 P 4 while the new
>one's have the 540. Does anyone know the differences ? Thanks.
>
>Mike

I think I answered my own question right after posting the above :p
I think a 550 is a P 4 with a clock speed of 3.40 Ghz while the 540 is
clocked at 3.2 Ghz. I think!

Mike
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:02:27 GMT, Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>>Thanks for the input Patrick. Another question I have and am having
>>trouble "googleing" the answer for is what is the main difference
>>between the Pentium 4 Processor 550 and 540 ? I was looking over some
>>of the refurbished units and note they have the 550 P 4 while the new
>>one's have the 540. Does anyone know the differences ? Thanks.
>>
>>Mike
>
>
> I think I answered my own question right after posting the above :p
> I think a 550 is a P 4 with a clock speed of 3.40 Ghz while the 540 is
> clocked at 3.2 Ghz. I think!
>
> Mike


Yes, those numbers are strictly based on speeds. No technology
differences in the different models. Kinda confusing at first, but I
found the answer on the Intel website after some searching.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS