dimensions of my cooler

Sep 4, 2018
the cooler master 212x has dimensions of 8 x 12 x 15.8 cm which exceed my cases height by 1mm.

my cases max height for cooling is 157mm, does it matter?

Solution
If you are overclocking then you definitely want a better cooler then the 212. Its great for not overclocking, esp when you get it on sale, but it's thermal limit is about 150w and that's with a 2nd fan installed on it so it's not meant for anything serious.
Sep 4, 2018

my case is the corsair carbide spec 03 case could you check it out and see if that is possible

USAFRet

Titan

1mm.

Working or not depends on which engineering and marketing depts fudged the number a little bit.

1mm clearance, no problem.
0.2mm interference, problem.

USAFRet

Titan

And the top of the cooler or its pipes rubbing against the side panel?

That's actually the second dumbest recommendation I've read today.
(the worst one might have actually resulted in a fire)

I didn't say it was ideal and if I'd had some input into the buying choice, this person wouldn't have ended up with no clearance. It didn't harm anything though. It was as Hyper 212 EVO, forget the case. He'd already purchased the parts. The side panel was a very light gauge steel so it warped easily.

USAFRet

Titan

Why would recommend something like that?

Come back in a few months, and see the metal on metal rubbing has worn away either the inside of the case, or the top of the heat pipes.

I wasn't recommending it if the case and cooler hadn't been bought already. But if the parts had been purchased already and were not returnable (or reasonably returnable), then sometimes you have to make do.

As for metal rubbing, the system was used like this for over two years until he bought an entire new system. There was no wear on the top of the heatpipes whatsoever. There might have been some marks on the inside of the panel, but these weren't visible from the outside. There was a slight bulge in the side panel as I said, but there were no other issues.

USAFRet

Titan

"but I've seen where the cooler is like a millimeter too tall, and you can still get the side cover on. It pushes out the middle of the panel a bit, and it was noticeable if you looked, but it worked."

That actually is recommending it.
This is a worldwide forum, and these statements said here will be read for years.

5 years from now, some kid who is currently 9 years old will read this, and think. "well, techgeek said that metal on metal rubbing is OK, so..."

And then toss in someone who accidentally kicks the side of their PC...

I'm just saying...you have to be cognizant of the wider audience.
"...but it worked" is a recommendation.

Sep 4, 2018

Ok i will measure it and will see, but so far im thinking of a cryorig right now just because its better for overclocking my ryzen 5 2600

popatim

Titan
If you are overclocking then you definitely want a better cooler then the 212. Its great for not overclocking, esp when you get it on sale, but it's thermal limit is about 150w and that's with a 2nd fan installed on it so it's not meant for anything serious.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS