Diminishing returns?

G

I've basically decided on all the components for my new system, with the exception of the chip and graphics card.

I can get a 1GHz Tbird for $178, but for $50 more I can get a 1.2GHz Tbird instead. Is that extra $50 worth the extra 200MHz?

At issue is whether or not I'll even notice the difference. 1GHz is such a plateau that, it seems to me, any further increases beyond this point bring diminishing returns since the apps I tend to use run adequately well on my PII 266 laptop.

Plus, doesn't the 1.2 chip run considerably hotter than the 1GHz? I plan on sticking with the boxed HSF, and I've heard that it's better on the 1GHz chip. So if I get the 1.2, I'd have to spend another $20 or $30 for a new HSF.

At such a point, would that $50+ be better spent elsewhere? Like getting a GeForce2 Pro 64 DDR instead of Radeon 64 DDR? (Or just saving it up for a rainy day for that matter.)

Peter

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which cpu's are you referring to? Are we talking the 1.2 with 266fsb or 200 fsb? And the same info for the 1 gig is needed as well. With the 266 FSB Cpu's vx the 200 fsb cpu's yes the difference is noticable. You are right in your assumption of the graphics card being a limitation if gaming is what this system is for. the merits of the ATI or nvidia solution have been well discussed in other posts and it all comes down to what you will use this machine for.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!