Question Dimm slot B1 causing trouble ?

Dec 10, 2022
Board: ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

I got a new set of ram 4x8gb of 4000.
All the sticks are good I've tested.
Bios is up to date
All the slots "work" with the exception of B1 whenever a stick is in b1 it doesn't matter what configuration/combination the other slots are the pc will not boot with ram speeds over 2133mh.
B1 is functional otherwise the ram shows up and works it just screws up the speeds when something is in it. What could be the problem?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please include a link to the ram kit you're working with(you've purchased)? As for the BIOS, it's best if you state the version as opposed to stating latest or up to date. We've had multiple times where end user said latest only to find out there were other revisions pending update.

What processor have you paired with that motherboard?

Dec 10, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please include a link to the ram kit you're working with(you've purchased)? As for the BIOS, it's best if you state the version as opposed to stating latest or up to date. We've had multiple times where end user said latest only to find out there were other revisions pending update.

What processor have you paired with that motherboard?

Ram: F4-4000C18Q-32GTZ
Bios: BIOS 2803
5600x

Lutfij

Titan
Does the issue with slot B1 on the motherboard happen with any stick of ram from that kit? Like if you rotated the stick to swap places? That way you could rule out the slot to be faulty or a particular stick of ram to be the issue.

Dec 10, 2022
Does the issue with slot B1 on the motherboard happen with any stick of ram from that kit? Like if you rotated the stick to swap places? That way you could rule out the slot to be faulty or a particular stick of ram to be the issue.
Yes any combination of slots filled or sticks in them. Whenever something is in B1 it screws all the speeds.

Lutfij

Titan
the pc will not boot with ram speeds over 2133mh
Did you manually input all timings and voltage as stated on the ram sticks with the sole exception being the frequency(with that set to DDR4-3600MHz) in BIOS? I doubt you can get the ram to work at DDR4-4000Mhz due to AMD's limitation at DDR4-3600MHz. I say limitation since you might need to pump some crazy voltage through the IMC and even the ram kit. That ram kit was designed when Intel was at it's peak...a couple of generations ago, namely during it's Skylake/Kabylake era.

Last ditch effort would be to take your processor and ram kit over to a known working, compatible motherboard(with the right BIOS version ofc) and see if you get the same issue crop up. If you do, then the processor you have might have a faulty integrated memory controller. If things go smooth, with you going close to advertised timings, then the board is the issue.

RMA the board, if you're yet within warranty.

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Board: ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

I got a new set of ram 4x8gb of 4000.
All the sticks are good I've tested.
Bios is up to date
All the slots "work" with the exception of B1 whenever a stick is in b1 it doesn't matter what configuration/combination the other slots are the pc will not boot with ram speeds over 2133mh.
B1 is functional otherwise the ram shows up and works it just screws up the speeds when something is in it. What could be the problem?

Hi,
I also have ROG Strix MoBos. Both X470F and B550F
I also have GSkill Ram but mine is F4-3200C for the system in question.

I ran the latest version of Memtest against both sticks of RAM for at least 12 hours and they came back clean with no errors at all.

I am experiencing nearly the same issue.
With Identical GSkill RAM sticks in A2 and B2 I get non stop BSOD and lock ups

When I remove one stick from B2 all the problems go away.
When I then replace the working stick with the previously removed stick in slot A2, all the problems return with that one stick.
(My system seems to work fine with one RAM stick in A2 on the X470F board.)

In my case, it appears to be the one stick of RAM even though Memtest reported no errors during the 12 hour test.

Note that on Page 1-5 in the B550F user guide it says to use only B2 if using ONE stick of RAM
Use A2 and B2 if using two sticks of RAM.

You should not use A1 and B1 for two sticks of RAM, Nor B1, A2 or A1 for 1 stick of RAM.

Have you tried each stick one at a time in slot A2 (according to the User Guide) to see if the machine runs properly?

Dec 10, 2022
Hi,
I also have ROG Strix MoBos. Both X470F and B550F
I also have GSkill Ram but mine is F4-3200C for the system in question.

I ran the latest version of Memtest against both sticks of RAM for at least 12 hours and they came back clean with no errors at all.

I am experiencing nearly the same issue.
With Identical GSkill RAM sticks in A2 and B2 I get non stop BSOD and lock ups

When I remove one stick from B2 all the problems go away.
When I then replace the working stick with the previously removed stick in slot A2, all the problems return with that one stick.
(My system seems to work fine with one RAM stick in A2 on the X470F board.)

In my case, it appears to be the one stick of RAM even though Memtest reported no errors during the 12 hour test.

Note that on Page 1-5 in the B550F user guide it says to use only B2 if using ONE stick of RAM
Use A2 and B2 if using two sticks of RAM.

You should not use A1 and B1 for two sticks of RAM, Nor B1, A2 or A1 for 1 stick of RAM.

Have you tried each stick one at a time in slot A2 (according to the User Guide) to see if the machine runs properly?
I'm trying to use 4x8gb sticks and the way I got it to work was one stick in B2 booted up and repeated A2 then some trouble with A1 but I got it working but B1 never works

TrufflesG

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'm trying to use 4x8gb sticks and the way I got it to work was one stick in B2 booted up and repeated A2 then some trouble with A1 but I got it working but B1 never works

OK.

I ended up sending the Bad stick back to Gkskill and they sent me a replacement. It was fairly quick and easy.
That solved my issue.
I now have 4 sticks in the board. All 8GB 3200 and no issues.
You likely have an issue with your MoBo on that slot if you've moved the RAM sticks around and still have that same slot not responding.

I still have a suspicion my original issue may have been caused by a defective Media Dashboard and some kind of short, but not certain.