[SOLVED] DIMM Slot error

Jun 30, 2020
Hello
Hi , I am new to this forum.
Last week I replaced my G2020 processor with i5 3570.
I had 8 gigs of ram ( 4 + 4)
Now my computer is running okay as long as there is no ram inserted in one particular DIMM slot closest to CPU cooler
If that slot is occupied then on powering the CPU , three beeps * pause* three beeps would occur and nothing is displayed.
Even CPU-Z says my ram is single channel, which is actually dual.

Have I damaged the CPU or something?

MoBo : Intel DH61WW

I have given it a shop,the guy says the DIMM slot is damaged but I am not convinced.

Solution
A damaged DIMM slot or bent cpu pin can cause a single slot to stop working. When running 2 sticks of RAM usually the correct slots are 2 & 4 for dual channel, check the motherboard manual.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
A damaged DIMM slot or bent cpu pin can cause a single slot to stop working. When running 2 sticks of RAM usually the correct slots are 2 & 4 for dual channel, check the motherboard manual.

From what I can gather the DH61WW motherboard (and H61 mobo in general) only has two DIMM slots, so there's really no choice for 2 & 4.
I know that board, I had one. There seems to be some condition where the board would just stop working properly in higher end CPUs. It's random, sometimes replacing the RAM works, sometimes it would just work out of the blue.

My solution back then was to replace the board with an MSI one. I understand that board replacement might be not everyone's cup of tea, just my experience here, heh.