[SOLVED] DIMM Slots 1&2 not allowing system to boot when Ram is installed

Aug 14, 2020
Hi all,

Hoping someone will be able to help me out with this or advise the best way to get it fixed.

My Motherboard is MSI Gaming 5 and the Ram is Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8gb 1600hz

The issue I am having is when both the ram modules are in DIMM slots 3&4 the computer boots up fine and works as it should. When I move the Ram modules to DIMM slots 1&2 the computer powers up for around 5 seconds then shuts down and continues on a cycle of powering up then shutting down until I manually turn the power off at the power supply. I have tried each of the combinations e.g. 1&3, 1&4 etc. and nothing works. The only way I can get the computer to boot is in 3&4.

This only came to my attention as I purchased a second set of 16gb (2x 8gb) of RAM. I know the new ram is not defective as I have tried the same process as above with the two new RAM modules and again they only work in DIMM slots 3&4.

I have read forums were its the opposite way around where 1&2 work and 3&4 don't for a number of different reasons but never in the manor i'm experiencing.

If there is any way to correct this or any help or advise i would be massively grateful.

Thanks

Sam

Solution
Hi all,

Hoping someone will be able to help me out with this or advise the best way to get it fixed.

The issue I am having is when both the ram modules are in DIMM slots 3&4 the computer boots up fine and works as it should. When I move the Ram modules to DIMM slots 1&2 the computer powers up for around 5 seconds then shuts down and continues on a cycle of powering up then shutting down until I manually turn the power off at the power supply. I have tried each of the combinations e.g. 1&3, 1&4 etc. and nothing works. The only way I can get the computer to boot is in 3&4.

This only came to my attention as I purchased a second set of 16gb (2x 8gb) of...

ghadam23

Honorable
Jul 21, 2018
Hi, I have been recommended by others to try out memtest86 its a bootable USB program that will test your ram for errors without needing windows.

Are your ram kits both rated at 1600? I think mixing and matching different manufacturers ram could be the source of the problem too. Are you certain your new kit is ddr3?

Hi all,

This only came to my attention as I purchased a second set of 16gb (2x 8gb) of RAM. I know the new ram is not defective as I have tried the same process as above with the two new RAM modules and again they only work in DIMM slots 3&4.

I have read forums were its the opposite way around where 1&2 work and 3&4 don't for a number of different reasons but never in the manor i'm experiencing.

If there is any way to correct this or any help or advise i would be massively grateful.

Thanks

Sam
What is your BIOS version ?
There were many Bios upgrades over the years, with several supposed to improve RAM problems
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

Or your Chipset driver; there was an update as late as 2018

Hi all,

Thanks

Sam
Power cycling or ram slots not working with Intel LGA CPUs usually means a CPU pin is shifted out of place or bent. Since slots 3 and 4 are working, that suggest only memory channel "B" is currently working and that the CPU pins corrisponding to channel "A" (slots 1&2) are the issue. If putting a module into slots 1/3 or 2/4 does not work, I would pull the CPU out, thoroughly check the CPU socket for bent pins. Fix any pins with a sewing needle or something thin like a plastic toothpick. Carefully reseat the CPU and reapply thermal paste to try again.

Sometimes just reseating the CPU will fix the issue, especially if the case has been knocked about or bumped during a move or even just picking it up and putting it down to work on it.

Solution