[SOLVED] DIMMS A1, A2...can't post with memory installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLS75

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
What a story I have here.

Bought an Asus Maximus X Hero a few years ago. Installed an i7 8700k and Tridentz G.Skill PC3200 (16 x 2 kit). Noticed that the system wouldn't post with anything in slots A1 or A2...yet tested out both sticks solo and together in the B slots and everything was fine.

At the time, I was hard-pressed for a computer, so I didn't investigate further...just stuck the sticks in the B slots and ran single channel. Dumb move, looking back, but the past is in the past. Everything ran great otherwise, I was quite satisfied, and so forgot about the situation. Wasn't really a hard core user anyway.

Last week I was reminded about the situation after seeing a vid, and decided to remove the cpu and take a look at the pins. Couldn't see anything bent, but wasn't sure if I was looking at it correctly. And since I had an interested party in the motherboard I thought I would just upgrade, then take the Maximus X to someone and have them look at it and hopefully fix it before I sold it.

So I bought a Maximus XI, installed it today and wouldn't you know it? Dimms A1 and A2 exhibit the exact same problem. Dimms B1 and B2...fine, but anything in the A slots causes a post failure with Q-code CC. Now, I've installed many cpus going back years and, since I couldn't see any bent pins on the old board, and since I was more careful this time than ever before, I have a really hard time believing I damaged the board...so finally to my question, before I take it out and check the pins again...

Could this 8700k have been defective and caused this? If so, could looking at the bottom reveal this for certain? Unfortunately, I don't have another cpu to put it in the mobo and see for sure. So I'm stuck for now....but don't want to drop a ton of cash.

I've tried loosening the cooler unit thinking maybe it was too tight, but no difference.

This is really disheartening. I should've paid more attention to the problem a few years ago.

Need some help...would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
did you read the MB owners manual? 2 rams sticks usually will go in b1 and b2. both boards run single channel?

If you actually read the manual for the Maximus XI series boards, it clearly states, that when using 2 memory modules they should be installed in DIMM A2 and B2 (for dual channel).

The only motherboard from the Maximus XI range that differs from this recommendation is the Maximus XI Apex board, which only has 2 DIMMS total.

OP is testing the RAM setup in the correct way.

BenLS75

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
I must not have been clear. For an Asus board, to run in dual channel, you need sticks in either A1 and B1 or A2 and B2...so with the A slots not working at all, I'm stuck running two sticks in single channel mode because I can only use the B slots.

BenLS75

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
The memory I’m using is in the QVL for both the Maximus X and XI...but if it was bad wouldn’t it fail even in single channel mode? But that aside, note that I cannot put either of these sticks in A1 or A2 without a post failure, but both sticks work fine in B1/B2 (solo or together)...so I’m thinking the memory is okay.

No, I don’t have spare kits or cpu...hence my question here. If the problem were the processor that would make the most sense, but I am unaware of whether a cpu can cause something like this to happen without other obvious signs of defect/failure, which I’ve not seen. If push comes to shove I’ll have to take it to someone, but trying to exhaust all avenues before it comes to that.

Thank you for the response.

Last edited:
did you read the MB owners manual? 2 rams sticks usually will go in b1 and b2. both boards run single channel?

If you actually read the manual for the Maximus XI series boards, it clearly states, that when using 2 memory modules they should be installed in DIMM A2 and B2 (for dual channel).

The only motherboard from the Maximus XI range that differs from this recommendation is the Maximus XI Apex board, which only has 2 DIMMS total.

OP is testing the RAM setup in the correct way.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS