Direct 3d problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
30 meg? 55 meg? These are strange numbers. I was talking about checking AGP aperture in your BIOS. The options are usually 4, 8, 16, ... 256. They are powers of 2.

Are you by chance talking about "memory for textures" in the Display Manager. If you are, and making changes actually helps, then you do have a problem. That memory adjustment is for video when your video card is operating in PCI mode. If its helping your card then your card is not working in AGP mode.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

G

hmm yeah, that does seem to be whats going on.. i changed the "Maximum System Memory for Textures in PCI mode"

how did it get to be PCI? since the card is AGP? how do i change it back?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Usually the VIA 4-in-1 drivers or the VIA AGP driver should activate AGP.

Try installing the 4-in-1 drivers but this time at the prompts select the uninstall option for each of the modules. When done reboot and reinstall the 4-in-1 drivers (with turbo mode). This should give you a cleaner installation of the drivers and hopefully they will work this time.

G

Hi All,

I have been running an AMD 500Mz CPU with a VOODOO II card for a couple of years now (very successfully) and thought it high time to upgrade to a Creative GeForce2 GTS – better renditions, L & T, better frame rates etc. WRONG! True the frame rates are better – but only marginally.

A further problem that has manifested itself is the mouse pointer is very unstable. If the mouse is stationary, the pointer disappears. This problem only happens in 3D games, NOT on desktop or W/P etc. Could this be significant to the main problem?

How do I check if the AGP is working? There is no reference to AGP in BIOS (except AGP set to TURBO) or in any of the Control Panel set-ups.

In ‘Display Manager’ in ‘Memory for Textures’ setting, under ‘PCI Texture Memory Size’, it is indicating ‘Use up to 23Mb of system memory for textures in PCI mode’. Is this significant?

I use Win 98SE. I have the latest drivers from Creative, Direct X 8.1 installed and the latest AGP drivers for my motherboard (ASUS P5A-B).

I would very much welcome the combined knowledge of all you guru’s out there. I know you have helped many newbie’s in the past – please help me!

Cheers everyone,

Alan C

G

w00t! i think it's entirely fixed.... Im scoring a 6871 in 3dmark now, AND getting high FTS in all diagnostic programs.

The VIA 4-1 Drivers helped! thanks a bunch!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not too many ideas.

You've already updated the AGP driver. How about the BIOS?

Check the mouse control panel and under pointers set schemes to <b>none</b>.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep
i had extreemly poor direct3d results for my athlon/win2k box too

new chipset drivers helped a bit
new detonator 21.85 video drivers helped ALOT

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?