[SOLVED] Direct cable connection between two pc 60 meters apart problem

Jan 3, 2019
Hi there.

I am trying to connect two windows xp computers using direct Lan cable connection, just to access files between the two. The two computer is not connected to the internet. The distance between the two computers is about 50 meter. I am using cat 5 E cable (60 meter long or 197 feet) which is buried in the ground. I have assigned static IP address for both computers. I managed to make it work. However it is not stable. Sometimes it will connect to the network immediately, sometimes it will take 30 minutes to connect, and sometimes it will fail to connect. Any idea what is wrong? Do I need a network switch for such a distance?

Thanks

Solution
USAfret is correct, it doesn't matter where the switch is. Ideally, next to one of the PC's.
Now before you go investing in a switch, can you get the 2 computers together and a short reliable cable?
I suspect the connector has a fault, but if you got both PC's in the same room with a known reliable cable, you would be able to make sure its a cable thing or a Windows XP thing.
Jan 3, 2019

Nope, I only have one 60 meter cable.

Between the two computers, there are nothing but open space. The computers that I am trying to connect are for truck scales. I have two truck scales, so one computer for each. I am trying to make the 1st computer to share files (access database) with the 2nd computer. I have two small hut which house each computer, and the distance between the two huts is about 50 meter. Would 60 meters be too far for direct cable connection without a switch?

USAFRet

Titan
A switch would not have to be in the middle.

Properly done, 60 meters is within the Cat5e spec.

I think this is an issue with XP or possibly the cable terminations.

The switch could reside right next to one or the other, connected with just a short cable. The 60 meter goes to the other PC.
PC--Switch--------------------------------------------------------------------PC

Buried cable? Is this rated for burial?

Jan 3, 2019

The cable is not rated for burial, but I put it inside a small diameter pipe before being buried.

Ok, I guess I will just try to use a switch and see if it improve the connection.
Thank you for the input.

USAfret is correct, it doesn't matter where the switch is. Ideally, next to one of the PC's.
Now before you go investing in a switch, can you get the 2 computers together and a short reliable cable?
I suspect the connector has a fault, but if you got both PC's in the same room with a known reliable cable, you would be able to make sure its a cable thing or a Windows XP thing.

Solution
Jan 3, 2019

Good idea. I will try this first, then try a switch if necessary :)