DIRECT PARALLEL CONNECTION

dw

If I want to use this method to access files from an old computer, do both
computers have to be running XP or 2000?

Thanks for any help.

DeeDee

Malke

dw wrote:

> If I want to use this method to access files from an old computer, do
> both computers have to be running XP or 2000?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> DeeDee

I don't believe so. Here are some links about the subject which I've
collected:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm - Direct Cable Connection
http://www.lpt.com/Support/DCC-SetUp/dcc-setup.htm - DirectParallel and
Direct Cable Connection (DCC) Step-by-Step SETUP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305621 - HOW TO: Set Up a Direct Cable
Connection Between Two Computers in Windows XP

I've never used a direct cable connection because I think there are far
easier ways of transferring files. Of course, it depends on the
operating system on the older computer but here are a few suggestions:

1. Burn files to cd-r.
2. Transfer files using a usb thumbdrive.
3. Take out the old machine's hard drive and slave it in the new
machine.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers