Direct Replacement - XFX R9 280X - RMA

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
I RMA'd XFX R9 280X about 2 months ago. XFX graciously sent me back RX 580 4GB card. I'm now RMA'ing the 580 and sent a request to XFX to consider replacing it with an 8gb version of the 580. XFXs response was no that they don't upgrade on request and doing so would cause grief if word got out they were doing so.

I understand the response, but I am wondering if I am making an unreasonable request. The 280x card was a 3gb card, so a 4gb version of the 580 seems reasonable. On the other hand the MSRPs of the 8gb 580s seem more in line with what I spent on the 280x.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback. XFX has been great throughout this process. I am just wondering if pushing for an 8gb version is reasonable or not.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I am running a 4690k system with an EVGA G2 650w psu.

mgallo848

Commendable
They are being more than fair. A 580 is nearly double the speed and less power draw than what you had. Not to mention when you RMA a card that is past it's life, they aren't going to give you a replacement based on what you paid. The 280x has gone down in value, you did get to use if (a few years I'm guessing?) so you did get some money out of it.

Had they replaced it with something that matches the current market value of a 280x you probably would've ended up with something like an RX 560 (maybe even a 550)

Be happy with what they gave you. That's a HUGE upgrade compared to what you had.

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
Thanks, mgallo... I appreciate the info and feedback. I thought it may be unreasonable, hence the ask. I hate that my pc has been out of commission 2x now, but, that's certainly better than having to fork over a bunch of cash for a new card.