Direct Serial Connection

I have a client that tests electrical devices.
XP and 2000 has the option of creating a new connection
that will allow you to connect directly to a host through
parallel, serial, or infrared port.

This works fine in XP and 2000.

What I need to know if this is possible with ME/NT 4/98??

Any help is appreciated.

This link may help.

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/dcc/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Carey" wrote:
|I have a client that tests electrical devices.
| XP and 2000 has the option of creating a new connection
| that will allow you to connect directly to a host through
| parallel, serial, or infrared port.
|
| This works fine in XP and 2000.
|
| What I need to know if this is possible with ME/NT 4/98??
|
| Any help is appreciated.

Yes you can. On NT you have to install the NULL modem driver and then you
can create a connection from there.

For info, what program do you use to talk to the "host"? On Windows NT, you
can use Hyperterm.

Paul DS.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> This link may help.
>
> http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/dcc/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Carey" wrote:
> |I have a client that tests electrical devices.
> | XP and 2000 has the option of creating a new connection
> | that will allow you to connect directly to a host through
> | parallel, serial, or infrared port.
> |
> | This works fine in XP and 2000.
> |
> | What I need to know if this is possible with ME/NT 4/98??
> |
> | Any help is appreciated.

I know NT 4.0 will allow you to connect to another host
via the serial ports. I have done so myslef. A serial
crossover cable is required to switch transmit and
receive. If he is invloved in serial test equipment, he
should know what a crossover casble is.

Good Luck.