Direct X wont install

I am trying to run the sims 2. I installed it without problems. When I run it
it says Direct 3d Failed to initialize. I tried to reinstall directX but it
juct skips the install and says setup complete. Have tried downloading
directX and same problem. Direct X diagnostic 3D test runs fine can someone
help please.

Sims 2 requires a video card that has hardware Texturing and Layering
technology within its processing unit aka GPU. Any card that classifies as
this would be a Radeon or a GeForce series card. If you have onboard
graphics such as the i845G Extreme Graphics or S3 ProSavage, it will not have
this technology. In leamon: Do you have onboard graphics or a seperate video
card that is installed somewhere in the PC?