Direct2Drive Now Offers Digital Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I think that the pricing should depend on the game. For some games 5 hours is enough to like or not like it, but for some with a steep learning curve a week might not be enough!

niloluiz

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Five HOURS? Ridiculous.... this is basically a "paid demo" proposal which doesn't make any sense from the customer perspective. For D2D however it is a way to increase sales by hooking some people with this pseudo-rental offer....

G

Just enough time to play through a COD single player. I might try it for some games.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Great now we have to PAY for a demo version. To top that it won't even work for 30 days. I guess new generations will think this is great and better than nothing now that companies have stopped making demos of a lot of the newer games for PCs.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
5 hr test period is fine imo.

How can TH compare prices for a real game download service with a streamed one where you don't download the whole client but rather get a(often poor quality) rendered stream on a service thats also are prone to input and/or video lag due to the nature of the Internet (and usually not an overly generous share of the server resources).

If you get the whole game your allowed to REALLY see how YOUR hardware are going to present the game and its a far more valuable.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i wouldnt say that D2D is a steam rival ... you see rival suggest that they are on teh same level field and offer teh same service , and let's face it D2D is not match for steam ,

Competitor sure , but rival no d2d does not rival steam nor can it ever give steam any real threat until it offers the same capabilities of steam , that being not only a store , but also a social network in of it's self as well as making it's self a DRM instead of offering digital games with secueom/tags ect ect. DRM (that usually goes ape shit on digital versions of games) lastly D2D jsut doens'tofer teh saving that steam does , in comparions what few sales it does have , look like a sad joke compared to steams numerous year around sales that drop prices drastically

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
P.S. 5 bucks for 5 hours is NOT reasonable... geezus i rember back in teh old day when block buster was still useful , they only charged about 3 bucks for 1-2 day rental on a game .. to say 5 bucks for 5 hours is reasonable is like saying , 5 bucks half a slice of pizza is reasonable when the whole pizza cost only 10 bucks.

G

I dont think when most people start a brand new game for the first time that they sit there staring at their screen for the next 5 consecutive hours, no matter how good it is. I usually take breaks, maybe play for 1-2 hours, get something to eat/drink, and come back later. I might also spend the first hour goofing around, getting used to the game, experimenting with the game physics or whatever, looking for bugs. 5 hours is a lot of pressure to immediately get things done. Paying for it is ridiculous. As someone already mention, this is like paying to play a damn demo. Why the hell would I do that?

$5 for 3 days, or maybe even 24 hour pass is more reasonable.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
5$ for five hours is a bit steep, but since it's knocked off the price if you decide to buy it, it evens things out. It's merely a 5 hours demo for 5$ if you don't decide to buy it. It's way better than shelling out 60$ for a game and regretting it after 2 hours!

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I've never played a demo that lasted five hours without deliberately milking it out. This isn't a bad idea, some games' singleplayer campaign lasts less than five hours, and if this idea was widespread it might even cause developers to start making longer games again in an attempt to get people to buy their games rather than rent.

The key point for me is that if you then buy the game you get a $5 reduction, essentially then rather than buy games you're interested in, as is the case now, you could rent every one beforehand for $5 then only pay full price for the ones that are actually worth your cash. This could motivate developers to work harder, since they wouldn't have the same swathes of people buying bad or mediocre games on hype alone.

roxim5

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I wonder how long it will take hackers to find away around the 5 hour limitation... effectively getting games for $5.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]roxim5[/nom]I wonder how long it will take hackers to find away around the 5 hour limitation... effectively getting games for $5.[/citation]
Those hackers already know how to hack the game for free. I don't think they'll pay 5$ to be semi-legit.

roxim5

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Those hackers already know how to hack the game for free. I don't think they'll pay 5$ to be semi-legit.[/citation]

True, I wasn't thinking about that. Pretty pointless then.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I'd rather just play XboX online and pay the monthly fee for that. 'Least then I'd be able to play single player all I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS