Direct3D 10/11 Natively Implemented on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Hard Line[/nom]Finally we are about there to lose windows for good! games are the only reason I keep windows around[/citation]Hmm.. lose Windows in favor of DirectX 10 and 11 on linux? IT'S MICROSOFT'S API! Microsoft isn't going to just make an API so people can reap it's benefits in Linux. There will always be Windows and there will always be Linux, for now. I am currently using Linux and hearing this definitely adds hope for the Linux community.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Hard Line[/nom]Finally we are about there to lose windows for good! games are the only reason I keep windows around[/citation]I second that!

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Microsoft isn't going to just make an API so people can reap it's benefits in Linux.[/citation]Actually, it's not going to be made by Microsoft. Also, it will run through WINE!! So, no, it's not LINUX native.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
That's the news that i was waiting for!!!! The last step that i need to ditch "winblows" is a complete testing of ALL the games that have been published from the past 20 years or more before i start my complete OS migration.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]Actually, it's not going to be made by Microsoft. Also, it will run through WINE!! So, no, it's not LINUX native.[/citation]Seriously? I had no idea that this API for Linux wasn't gonna be made by Microsoft!! C'mon man, I am talking about Microsoft continuing development with DirectX. If EVERYONE is just gonna migrate to Linux, they will stop developing it. It'll never happen.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]neoverdugo[/nom]That's the news that i was waiting for!!!! The last step that i need to ditch "winblows" is a complete testing of ALL the games that have been published from the past 20 years or more before i start my complete OS migration.[/citation]

I see the irony you did there ;)

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
[citation][nom]thepinkpanther[/nom]hey Steam i hear linux is more lucrative than ever...if u cant get a hint MAKE STEAM FOR LINUX[/citation]
So you and the other 5 people that suffer through Linux gaming can hurry up and download it?

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
When linux supports my wireless adapter natively without additional downloading, I'll use it. I don't know script commands, and trying to install anything on linux without an active internet connection is just not going to happen

[citation][nom]ScoobyJooby-Jew[/nom]When linux supports my wireless adapter natively without additional downloading, I'll use it. I don't know script commands, and trying to install anything on linux without an active internet connection is just not going to happen[/citation]

They do "support it", it's the other way around actually. Manufacturers have to provide drivers for their HW to be "supported". And in Linux almost every piece of HW is supported thanks to the "community" behind different distros and/or groups.

Anyway, it's not mature at all and we're still a few months away before we can see Wine trying it out in an alpha/beta state. They're still working on the driver side I think.

Cheers!

freiheitner

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
"not on Linux until this week" -- except that it's still not released and WINE has been trying to run Windows apps on Linux for something like 12 years and, as far as I am aware, they still aren't 100% compatible apps written for the initial Windows 95 release much less DirectX 11.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Funny .. the windows guys accept the linux guys with ease and look at them with indifference .. but the linux looks so full of itself .. oh gosh how bad windows is, let`s kill the big bad wolf, they charge us money for the OS.. (well shoot the clerk that seels you bread at the local store for charing you money for it). Or look we are bright enough that we can install a program trough command line in linux ... seriously .. me personally i have no use at all of linux and will never be a part of my OS. The thing that Linux users never got to understand is that the market has room for bouth of them, and that there are loads of ppl like me that are very pleased with their windows and will never even look at a linux platform. And i find it extremely funny how linux tries to be a windows, i mean ok let`s dump the command line installers let`s do it more user friendly like windows has, let`s make the menus look more like windows for users to transition with ease, let`s install DX from windows in linux ... what will be next that they`ll take from windows ?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I really hope they really let Linux in a bit more. It's really a great OS, and given the chance, I'm sure it'll run the same apps that Windows runs even better.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
1 more step and we'll run XBox games on a PS3! :)
Linux on PS3
DirectX on Linux
the formula is simple...

so we'll have Windows games running on a PS3 with the Kinect device.
well... maybe not tomorrow...

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
OpenGL is NOT an excellent cross-platform API, although it may have been one day.
It's counter-intuitive to code, performs worse and lacks features than D3D.

Major developers (ID etc) are using D3D even though they don't like being locked to Windows, simply because it is far superior to OpenGL.

What we need is more competition, a newcomer 3D API (or many of them), designed from scratch. But that'd require hardware vendors to open their APIs.

You can't create a new 3D API at present unless you implement a translation layer to either GL or D3D. It'd be like trying to write a new language or even a new compiler if the X86 spec was secret.

So we're stuck with a crappy duopoly of inferior vs proprietary.

Why aren't we breaking down doors and writing laws forcing these companies to release their API specs so we can write better software for them?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
If linux get access to DX10/11 Ill definitely be moving to linux full time. The only reason im still on windows is on my netbook for blackberry manager (for tethering) and main desktop for gaming.

All linux needs after this is steam
/crosses fingers for one of the big three announcements

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
why do people want steam on linux? if you want to use steam buy windows... i could be apple all i want to put android on their iphone but that doesn't mean it will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.