Question Directional Antenna to Router setup/connection ?

Morten_4

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Hey

I am trying to connect a directional wifi antenna to my router - to beam the wifi signal to our guest cabin down the field.
( this is the antenna https://www.elfa.se/Web/Downloads/_t/ds/TL-ANT2424B_eng_tds.pdf )

Would this work ?

From the antenna with this:
nhane.jpg

( https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/...ontakter/n-hane-till-rp-sma-hane-15-cm-p68680 )

And then from that to RJ45/Network cable like this:

adapter.jpg

https://www.av-connection.com/?PNo=TX-310400

And then to the router from there.

Would this work to grab internet from the router and shoot it to the cabin (firing at an extender downthere)

All the best, Morten

Not sure what you plan to do with that box you have it does coax to ethernet not wifi to ethernet.

I would suggest you just buy a solution designed for this application. It likely will be cheaper anyway.

Look at ubiquiti equipment but engenius makes many device also.

I suspect you will need a outdoor antenna on both ends all depends on the distance. A pair of nano station locom2 will cost you less than $100 and you pretty much just put one on each end and connect ethernet cables to the equipment that is indoors.

They sell faster model that use 802.11ac and model that go more distance but you will have to read the product information to decide which best fits your needs.

Morten_4

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Right, I was hoping i could use the antenna - as I have it already.

The simple task is to send fiber internet from my main house router around 100m down an open field to my guest cabin where I would put a wife extender or similar. I figured the wifi antenna could do it

Morten_4

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
The trouble i have is:

How do I connect the Wifi Antenna to the router (thus the above suggestion as to how to get from the antennas rp-sma connector to the routers rj45) -> so thats the problem, rp-sma to rj45

Morten_4

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Are there any plug´n´play solutions? I simply want internet in the cabin - and hoped the antenna i already had could connect to the router and shoot it downthere, seems not ... so i need another hassle free solution

You can buy just the electronic part. I think ubiquiti calls it bullet. Problem is you can get the antenna and the electronics for about the same price as just the antenna. Ubiquiti used to/does ? still sell devices called airgrid that use antenna similar to the one you have. Last time I looked at it the cost to buy just the antenna was only $20 less than the combined unit.

It is technically better to mount the electronics directly to the antenna. You have no cable loss. Years ago they couldn't make waterproof outdoor equipment so you ended up have to run cable to indoor equipment. The cost of quality microwave cable is huge.

Up to you but I suspect it is cheaper to just start over. The ubiquti stuff is as simple as you can get. You might need a AP in the remote building to connect to the outdoor bridge but a old router in the building will work also.

It really depends on the distance but this device is only a outdoor AP. It is the same as if you found a way to put your router just outside your house. The ""router" in the remote location can not connect to another route/ap. You need a device that acts like a client in the remote location.

If you are very close it might work that end device could directly connect with this outdoor AP. It all depends on how much signals get through the walls. If the signal is not strong enough...and that is high likely unless you are very close...you need some form of outdoor device on the remote building. This device must appear as a client.

Now I suppose you could use the AP you list on one end and a bridge type of device on the other but it is more expensive to do it that way. Since your goal is to provide signal to just 1 location a point to point solution with bridge units on both ends would be better.

Just looking I see they now sell the newer nanostation AC boxes for the same as the older nanostation device. Just under $50. Ubiquiti products can be a little confusing because they are marketed at someone who is not really just a end home consumer. Most devices run a fairly advanced OS that can run in many modes so it can get confusing what you can do with what boxes. I have not looked at their products that do mesh so I can't say. You really don't need the mesh features anyway with only 1 remote location.

Morten_4

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Now Im even more confused. Hmmm.

The distance is 110meters.
So i was looking at their site for a device "shooting" the signal longer than that which brought up the AC Mesh. I can see the nanostations range from 50eur to 150eur in the shops, supposedly for 1, but they give no info on range in their descriptions.

Is there really no single device capable of beaming the internet signal from my router to a router/extender in the cabin - without further fuss ?

There is no way to predict that. A "extender" (this device can run as a client or a client-repeater) might work but it is impossible to predict. All depends how much signal you can get through the walls and that depends way to much on house construction. I know some energy coatings on windows block a lot of signal. When you consider a microwave oven which puts out 1000 times the power on the same radio frequencies as wifi and you can see through the glass window but the signal is almost undetectable. It does not take much to completely block wifi signals.

All you can do is try it I guess.

The ubiquiti products in general are not designed for your trivial :) distance. The nanostation which are their lowest distance units can go 10-15 kilometers.....of course they must be on rather tall towers to even think to go that far. That is why you can likely just slap them up outside without much thought to alignment.

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I think you're making this way to complicated and unreliable. Spend the extra $150 and get a reliable point-to-point bridge. You wont be messing with your routers antenna, you'll get to keep omni-directional wifi in your house; your guest house will have a solid, reliable connection.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ngenius_point_to_point-_-33-168-114-_-Product

Super easy to setup, just point them out your windows at each other.