News DirectStorage 1.2 Adds Buffered IO Mode to Speed HDD Performance

kanewolf

Titan
With high performance storage, buffered I/O is slower than direct I/O. Funny that buffered I/O was added to what is supposed to be a performance interface. Granted, for HDD I/O buffering can smooth out performance during seek or rotational delays.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Sigh... Nothing like new old moldy technology... We had async I/O waaaaaay back in the 70's on our RSX-11 systems.... It was the only way to survive when your disk platters were roughly 18 inches in diameter with a seek time measured in what felt like hours! And don't get me started about those antique massive vacuum tape drives...

Geef

Distinguished
Intel had Optane, then they got rid of it. Stick a 16 or 32GB Optane M.2 drive on your machine with a HDD and Bam! It could copy stuff way faster. It was also cheap.

Really pissed me off when I upgraded my processor and suddenly found out my Optane didn't work anymore.

If you never used one think of this. Copying a 100+GB game from SSD to HDD. If your watching the copying screen it bounces percentage around while copying different files. Using the Optane made it always go at 100% full write speed of the HDD.