lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hey all -

Haven't found this info anywhere. Apologies if there's an answer somewhere in the forum and I just haven't seen it yet.

I bought a new SSD and a XFX Radeon 6850 last week, so I decided it was time to crank up my graphics settings and see what the new hardware could do. When I turned on the DirectX 11 effects in Batman: Arkham City, the display (a Samsung HDTV) quit working and gave me a "mode not supported" message. When I turn the DirectX 11 effects off, everything goes back to normal.

When I look at 'Performance Information and Tools' in Control Panel, it tells me my graphics card uses DX10, not DX11. On the Windows webpage, it says the XFX is compatible with DX11 but I need to download some piece of software to make it work. I downloaded everything on the AMD (and XFX) pages, but haven't been able to make DX11 work.

Any suggestions? Is there some DX11 software somewhere that I need to grab?

Thanks!

Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0GHz)
4GB DDR2
120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD (system, programs)
1TB WD Caviar Green (data)
XFX Radeon HD 6850 1gb

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
are you using windows 7? windows xp does not support DX 11 if i'm not mistaken.

batman will hardly work good work with stable Framerate with DX 11 activated on the 6850, so it is really ok if you can't use it i am using a GTX 680 and even it can't handle properly batman arkham city in DX11 some areas are just too laggy...

mode not supported is strange, this is commonly related if you are using a wrong resolution or refresh rate. but if you are using windows Xp could be a problem.

lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Sorry, forgot to say it. I'm using Win7 Ultimate x64.

Yeah, I don't necessarily need to use DX11. But since the card is supposed to support it, I'm surprised to see Windows saying that it's usng DX10 instead.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well could be a batman problem, try download some DX 11 benchmarks and test if they work (3D mark 11 for instance or heaven benchmark).

maybe your batman require some specific update, or AMD patch? keep PHYSX effects turned of if you are using an ATI video card.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Also adding, make sure you have installed the game and all the DX dlls on the REDIST folder, this is always something important to install and some people just skip that step on the installation process.

on the batman REDIST folder you probably can find the DX and just install it.

lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
No luck so far. 3D Mark 11 runs fine (scored P2437 3D Marks, 3383 graphics, 1285 physics, 1182 combined - not the best scores in the world, but the tests ran ok).

I reinstalled the REDIST, and nothing changed. Maybe I'll try changing the resolution and see if that helps..

EDIT: Nope, changing the resolution didn't make a difference either.

lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Just wanted to update this and see if anybody has any insight:

I've tried a couple of different games with DirectX 11, and they all crash. So far, both Arkham City and L.A. Noire have given me a "Mode Not Supported" message on my TV when I have DX11 effects turned on.

When I restart the PC and turn off the game's DX11 effects, play goes back to normal.

DirectX should work fine as long as the GPU supports it, right? It shouldn't be an issue with my older motherboard or CPU... Might it be a conflict with my TV's resolution settings or something? Pan & Scan vs. Wide Fit vs. normal 16:9, or something like that?

Any ideas?

My PC:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MoBo - ASUS A8M2N-LA (an old AM2 HP board)
CPU - Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0 GHz)
Ram - 4GB DDR2
GPU - XFX Radeon HD6850 1GB
System Drive - 128 GB Mushkin Chronos
Data Drive - 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Backup Drive - 1.5TB WD Caviar Blue
PSU - 450W (I think, can't remember the brand)