[SOLVED] DirectX 12 games stuck at below 10% GPU usage at all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrdPak

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Hi!

So I recently shifted cities, therefore my PC was not being used for almost a month, and was packed up. After I finally set it up and started it, Windows downloaded like half a dozen updates.

Ever since that, every DX12 game is stuck below 10% GPU usage, which is causing insanely low FPS. Specifically in F1 2020, and Forza Horizon 4.

I know this occurs only in DX12, because the DX11 mode in F1 2020 works just fine, and I get 75+ FPS on the High preset. But whenever I launch the game in Direct X 12 mode, the game suffers from low FPS even in menu, like as low as 10.

In Forza Horizon 4, the same issue persists, but I've noticed that the game reports GPU usage as being near 100% all the time, but MSI Afterburner reports both GPU and CPU usage being below 10%.

Forza Horizon 4 used to play at Ultra Preset @ 48~50 FPS.

I've tried about a dozen drivers ranging from 391.35 to 471.96, did clean installs of them with DDU, to no avail.
I've tried SFC and DISM scans and they didn't find anything.
The IGPU is disabled in the BIOS.
I've done GPU benchmarks, and they appear to be normal when compared with results prior from when PC was packed up.

Is it possible for the DX12 files to be corrupted?

My specs are (edited):

HP-Envy 700-527c
i7-4770 3.4GHz (4C/8T)
MSI MS-7826 (Z97 Chipset)
12GB DDR3 1600MHz (4+4+4) (Hynix HMT451U6BFR8A-PB )
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 IX-OC 2GB
128GB SSD
500GB HDD (Games are being played off this, no issues with the drive, 97% health, Only 3 months old)
HP OEM 350W PSU

Below is a screenshot showing the discrepancy between MSI Afterburner and the in-game GPU usage counter.

unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution
Hi!

So I recently shifted cities, therefore my PC was not being used for almost a month, and was packed up. After I finally set it up and started it, Windows downloaded like half a dozen updates.

Ever since that, every DX12 game is stuck below 10% GPU usage, which is causing insanely low FPS. Specifically in F1 2020, and Forza Horizon 4.

I know this occurs only in DX12, because the DX11 mode in F1 2020 works just fine, and I get 75+ FPS on the High preset. But whenever I launch the game in Direct X 12 mode, the game suffers from low FPS even in menu, like as low as 10.

In Forza Horizon 4, the same issue persists, but I've noticed that the game reports GPU usage as being near 100% all the time, but MSI Afterburner...

Lutfij

Titan
Your specs are incomplete. Please parse the make and model of your PSU(and it's age) and motherboard. While here, check and see what BIOS version the motherboard is on. What are the make and models of the 3 sticks of ram? You're advised to have either 2 or 4 slots populated, not half way for optimal system performance.

How old is the HDD? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? If DDU>latest Nvidia GPU drivers didn't help, I'd try and reinstall one of the games that are struggling. Then see if other titles behave the same when reinstalled.

Hi!

In Forza Horizon 4, the same issue persists, but I've noticed that the game reports GPU usage as being near 100% all the time, but MSI Afterburner reports both GPU and CPU usage being below 10%.

Forza Horizon 4 used to play at Ultra Preset @ 48~50 FPS.

I've tried about a dozen drivers ranging from 391.35 to 471.96, did clean installs of them with DDU, to no avail.
I've tried SFC and DISM scans and they didn't find anything.
The IGPU is disabled in the BIOS.
I've done GPU benchmarks, and they appear to be normal when compared with results prior from when PC was packed up.

Is it possible for the DX12 files to be corrupted?

My specs are:

i7-4770 3.4GHz (4C/8T)
12GB DDR3 1600MHz (4+4+4)
GTX 960 2GB
128GB SSD
500GB HDD (Games are being played off this, no issues with the drive, 97% health)

Below is a screenshot showing the discrepency between MSI Afterburner and the in-game GPU usage counter.

unknown.png
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and chipset on device manager (should be 18 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (ignore if there is none):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

PrdPak

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Your specs are incomplete. Please parse the make and model of your PSU(and it's age) and motherboard. While here, check and see what BIOS version the motherboard is on. What are the make and models of the 3 sticks of ram? You're advised to have either 2 or 4 slots populated, not half way for optimal system performance.

How old is the HDD? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? If DDU>latest Nvidia GPU drivers didn't help, I'd try and reinstall one of the games that are struggling. Then see if other titles behave the same when reinstalled.

I have updated the specs.

I doubt that PSU age is going to be a factor in this, since PC functions just fine in every non-DX 12 game, and rendering .etc . The PC is a refurbished pre-built from 2016 IIRC, I installed the GPU myself, along with the SSD and HDD.

I installed Forza Horizon 4, after I had cleaned the drivers with DDU and installed the latest ones, but didn't help.

I want to reinstall Windows 10 all together, but I am not sure if that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS