[SOLVED] Directx Error when gaming with more than 8gb of ram

Mar 7, 2020
So i can play many games with 8gb ram (2x4gb) but upgraded to 16gb (4x4gb) (and have in the past working fine) now i load a game and get Directx errors

Eg Anthem gets the graphics card removed
FFXIV gets just a directx failed

fresh install of windows 10
Tried loads of Nvidia driivers (making sure to use DDU to uninstall em)
Updated Directx

remove to go back down to 8gb works fine (go to 12gb same issue with directx)

doing me nut in

Asus M8A55V-Evo mobo
FX 3850 cpu
ddr3 ram 1333 ones
1060gtx nvidia card

Solution
So just to be clear, did you try removing the 2x4GB you already have and put the new 2x4GB on the exact same slots?
Did you run a memtest?

Since you did a fresh windows install and it was working before, if you do the things above and still doesn't work then I believe it's motherboard's fault.
Mar 7, 2020
Does the PC work with ANY 8GB combination?
What are the exact make/speed of the RAM sticks? Are they the same or different brands?
Have you tried different slots when using 8GB?

Yeah got 4 memory slots... typically use 1-3 can use 2 - 4 and 1-2.... 3-4 but if i add a 3rd or 4th memory its doing it

as for brand yes all the same Corsiar ones and all same speed 1333mhz

So just to be clear, did you try removing the 2x4GB you already have and put the new 2x4GB on the exact same slots?
Did you run a memtest?

Since you did a fresh windows install and it was working before, if you do the things above and still doesn't work then I believe it's motherboard's fault.

Solution
Mar 7, 2020
Did you run a memtest?

yes ran memtest the newer mem works in same slot it only happens when i exceed 8gb i even used my housemates 8gb sticks (cos he only has two slots) and 1 works fine put them both in nope and even the 4gb one with it to make it 12gb