DirectX Problem with Nvidia Drivers

kilfane

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
So this has been happening continuously since I updated my graphics drivers to the latest version a few days ago. Everything will be going fine for about a day or so but then seemingly randomly when I try to launch any game, I will get an error saying that my DirectX failed to initialize. I don't really know much about what DirectX is or how it works but I know enough to know its pretty crucial to running pretty much any game on windows. Every game will give me a different error but here is an example of one:

"Failed to initialize Direct3D.
Make sure you have at least DirectX 9.0c installed, have drivers for your
graphics card and have not disabled 3D acceleration
in display settings.
InitializeEngineGraphics failed"

I did find a solution to this the first time, it was to simply reinstall all my graphics drivers. But after I did this the same thing started happening about a day later. I've had to reinstall my drivers 4 different times so far this week and I'm fed up now, this problem is showing no signs of stopping.
So I turn to you all for help in the matter. All information such as my Pc Specs and Driver version, etc, is posted below, copied straight from the DxDiag Tool.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460s @2.90GHz (4 CPUs)
Ram: 12gb
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2gb

Below it also says:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

Driver: GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 397.31(Most Recent Version)

As stated earlier this is a huge annoyance as it can take upwards of half an hour to an hour to reinstall all my drivers and restart my computer, so any help would be appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Solution

Nihren

Distinguished
May 19, 2016

This has been happening to me as well, but I'm on Windows 10 Pro with a Core i7-3770, GTX 980 Ti 6GB, and 16GB of RAM. Can't figure out how to fix it.

Solution