Dirrect x 10; shoudl I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternallydead

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
am in the market for a laptop. I plan on getting one in the next 3 months or so...can wait 6-8 months for the next step in tech though. I am currious if the current laptops with radeon x1600+ or nvidia 7700+ will be able to handle dx 10... If I will spend $1800-$2500 on a new gaming laptop, I would like to have one than can last for another year or longer. Should I wait for a dx 10 compliant graphics card, or will the current ones handle it. Mind you I want this laptop to beable to play any new game fo rhte next year or two.

Thank you,

Chris

Will the cards handle Vista? Yes

Are they DX10 compliant? No

Will they play DX10 games? No (redundant? yes!)

That being said, DX10 cards for laptops aren't supposed to out until Summer 07. I f you can find a cheap laptop that will fit your needs until those cards come out and have all of the bugs worked out, then buy it and upgrade it later. It would only be worth it if the laptop you are looking at is 1500 or less.

eternallydead

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Ok, thank you. I shall wait for the summer 07 lap tops; quad core could be out then as well. When I build a computer (or get a laptop) I always plan for it lasting at least 2 years. Since dirext x 10 will be the new engine with in a year; I need to wait for the new graphics cards to come out as well.

Would you happen to have any sites/information on direct x 10?

Thank you,

Chris

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yea, could you provide a link for that information? :D

I too am in search of a new laptop that can game semi well and have a DX 10 card for future needs.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Here's my 2 cents.

Get your system, get it with a card that is upgradeable and cheap. For instance, you can get x1600 GPU's in systems like the Executioner and they are INSANELY cheaper than the higher end nVidia cards.

Upgrade your card at a later date.

For the record, DX-10 games will be playable with upper end DX-9 cards like the 7900 class cards. There is no way that a game development company is going to release a game NOT playable on the MAJORITY of the existing platform base, it just isn't going to happen. It's financial suicide. These games will have backwards compatability, I guaranty it.

Most of the game demos you have seen of DX-10 games were probably being displayed on DX-9 cards like the 7900/50 GTX.

Does anyone know of a DX-10 game that is available and that I can get and benchmark for the forum?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I think you have to wait for Vista to come out to the public... January 30th? I think. And then Flight Simulator X will have a DirectX 10 patch, if I remember correctly.

ikillnothing

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
yo mark have u heard of these external cards that you can get for laptops i heard a few things round the net that u can buy a high end laptop use the mid/high end use then plug in the external DX10 card for more graphic intensive stuff it will have its own external power supply. my only problem with this is what connection in existing laptops could they use which is fast enough to proccess that much information 8O

excuse my grammer/spelling its l8 i cba :lol:

MRuckus

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I believe Asus has an external card, but its the 7900GS.

About dx10, I thought I had read that dx9 video cards will play dx10 games, just the features of dx10 won't be shown. And I would imagine games will be compatible with dx9 for a few years, a lot of people still have 9800/x800 cards, and aren't planning to upgrade until a later date.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
If I remember correclty, Alienware laptops (specific ones) are the only ones with upgradeable graphics. But ask yourself this, what would be the point? How would that work?

1) New graphics require more power (sometimes). So, how do you up the power on an internal power supply?

2) New graphics can mean that your CPU now becomes the bottleneck. Replacing the CPU voids the warranty on laptops if done by yourself.

My $.02. Wait for summer to get a laptop. By then, nVidia (don't know about AMD/ATI) will have DX10 graphics cards for notebooks.

That's what I'm waiting for, but I'm fortunate that my company issued me a Dell Precision M90 to help ease the wait. :tongue: :oops:

JasumX

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Where would you go to pick up a new mobile graphics card? I'm fairly sure Newegg isn't selling them... So unless Alienware offers a "Send us your system and XXX dollars so we can upgrade your video card to the newest card on the market!" deal, the upgradable video card isn't going to do much for those without the propper supply connections. Hence why I bought an Executioner... When mobile DX10 cards come out I can send my laptop to Mark and get a new card, and probably his latest and greatest heatsink mod.

PS. If anyone knows a reputable retailer that sells just mobile graphics cards please correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS