Question Dirt Rally crashes without errors - GTX1660 Ti ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an older SKYLAKE system that I built in the year 2015 with 8GB of Ram and an XFX R7 370 2GB Graphics card. I used to play Dirt Rally on it all the time and had zero issues.

Recently I added an additional 8GB of ram to my system and picked up a brand new EVGA GTX 1660ti.

Although I purchased the same model of ram my motherboard didn't recognize it at first. Then I realized it was 10 bios versions behind. So I flashed the bios to the latest version and whola! The new ram worked perfectly and the system could see all 16 GB.

Then I used windows 10 to uninstall the AMD Radeon driver and then had the GeForce experience load the new GTX 1660ti driver.

The problem I am having is that Dirt Rally is crashing to the Desktop a lot. Within a split second the desktop appears and the game closes out. Almost if someone killed it in task manager.

There is no noise, or graphical distortion, no errors, no warning signs, It just closes in a split second.

Seems to normally happen when pressing certain buttons on my xbox bluetooth controller.

This is the first Nvidia card I have owned in over 10 years. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

EDIT: Just played my 2nd game 'Project Cars'. Got an unhandled exception error then also the game just froze even though the audio continued to run ?

Kobayagi

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
I have an older SKYLAKE system that I built in the year 2015 with 8GB of Ram and an XFX R7 370 2GB Graphics card. I used to play Dirt Rally on it all the time and had zero issues.

Recently I added an additional 8GB of ram to my system and picked up a brand new EVGA GTX 1660ti.

Although I purchased the same model of ram my motherboard didn't recognize it at first. Then I realized it was 10 bios versions behind. So I flashed the bios to the latest version and whola! The new ram worked perfectly and the system could see all 16 GB.

Then I used windows 10 to uninstall the AMD Radeon driver and then had the GeForce experience load the new GTX 1660ti driver.

The problem I am having is that Dirt Rally is crashing to the Desktop a lot. Within a split second the desktop appears and the game closes out. Almost if someone killed it in task manager.

There is no noise, or graphical distortion, no errors, no warning signs, It just closes in a split second.

Seems to normally happen when pressing certain buttons on my xbox bluetooth controller.

This is the first Nvidia card I have owned in over 10 years. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Hey, I know the topic is a few months old now, but maybe it still helps you or anyone else who comes across here when googling.
I also just made a account so I could reply :p

I tried the game with everything on ultra or on @ 2560x1440 and it ran perfect (90+ fps depending on the environment) until the inevitable crash. It also always happens just after a particular corner. I have googled this a lot and also saw posts on Steam that tell you to modify certain files so the game runs on 4 cores max, even if you have more. This didn't work for me.

My solution:

It's pretty simple: just turn 'Advanced Blending' off.

It was tricky figuring it out when having so many options, figuring out which one you can leave on to get the best looking game when the hardware is not the problem since it can handle the game at ultra with many fps. Turning it off, I noticed that the game stopped crashing (obviously), but also a huge (30+) boost in fps. Now, I'm getting about 140 in open areas and around 90 in woods when driving. Graphics wise, the option seems to affect lightning/shadows on trees in the distance, didn't find it particularly pretty or anything. So no huge loss there.

Anyway, hope it helps or someone else who reads this. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael_Collins
Jun 7, 2020
Hey Kobayagi

I created an Account just to say Thank You brother !

I updated AMD radeon drivers , game wouldnt play anymore today, started searching and found this after a while . Disable Advanced Blending , now Im bouncing perilously over 1000 lakes again .

Many Thanks Man

Status
Not open for further replies.