Question Disable 5ghz on one device

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hey all, I hope you can help me with this one. It should be an easy fix; just need to know where the setting is.

I have an Orbi Satellite rbr50v2. It puts out 2.4 and 5ghz wifi.

All my devices work fine with either connection except one; my Blackview BV9700 Pro phone. I love this phone.

But lately, it's been connecting to the 5 ghz connection but even though it's connecting to it, it's very weak and it keeps dropping the signal. When I reconnect, it first connects to 2.4ghz and works great again until it switches back to the 5ghz. My phone just doesn't handle 5ghz connection very well.

I can't find an option to select a preferred bandwidth (don't see it within network settings nor in the developer's options.

But when I log in to my router, I also can't find the option to disable the 5ghz connection only for this phone. I don't want to disable it for every device; just this one.

Thanks so much for your help!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all, I hope you can help me with this one. It should be an easy fix; just need to know where the setting is.

I have an Orbi Satellite rbr50v2. It puts out 2.4 and 5ghz wifi.

All my devices work fine with either connection except one; my Blackview BV9700 Pro phone. I love this phone.

But lately, it's been connecting to the 5 ghz connection but even though it's connecting to it, it's very weak and it keeps dropping the signal. When I reconnect, it first connects to 2.4ghz and works great again until it switches back to the 5ghz. My phone just doesn't handle 5ghz connection very well.

I can't find an option to select a preferred bandwidth (don't see it within network settings nor in the developer's options.

But when I log in to my router, I also can't find the option to disable the 5ghz connection only for this phone. I don't want to disable it for every device; just this one.

Thanks so much for your help!
I don't have an ORBI system, so I don't know if this is possible. On systems that allow multiple SSIDs to be defined (often for guest or other things), you could create a SSID that exists only on 2.4 and connect the problematic device to that SSID. I do that with Ubiquiti hardware for my IOT devices that don't work well with the same SSID name on 2.4/5Ghz

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
kanewolf,

That seems like such a simple idea that I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

So I just made a guest network with a separate id and password. But unfortunately, I still don't see an option to make just the guest connection output 2.4ghz.

It seems like it's an all or none deal but that doesn't make sense to me though. There has to be an option to do this somewhere, right?

kanewolf

Titan
kanewolf,

That seems like such a simple idea that I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.

So I just made a guest network with a separate id and password. But unfortunately, I still don't see an option to make just the guest connection output 2.4ghz.

It seems like it's an all or none deal but that doesn't make sense to me though. There has to be an option to do this somewhere, right?
I looked through the user's guide. I didn't see anything that showed that you could create a single frequency SSID.
You can always buy a cheap router, set it up as a 2.5Ghz only access point.