Disable colour printing on network shared HP2500

I have an HP2500 laserjet connected via USB to a Windows 2000 professional
PC. The printer is shared on the network.

Does anyone know of an easy way to enforce grayscale printing (instead of
full colour) for users who print via the network share from other PCs?

Thanks,
Shaun.

I've done something similar with HP inkjets, and it works. Install the driver
for a monochrome (B&W) laser such as the LaserJet 5... Ben Myers

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:14:13 GMT, "Code Developer"
<codedeveloper2002@removethisbityahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have an HP2500 laserjet connected via USB to a Windows 2000 professional
>PC. The printer is shared on the network.
>
>Does anyone know of an easy way to enforce grayscale printing (instead of
>full colour) for users who print via the network share from other PCs?
>
>Thanks,
>Shaun.

On the seventh day, Code Developer wrote...

> I have an HP2500 laserjet connected via USB to a Windows 2000 professional
> PC. The printer is shared on the network.
>
> Does anyone know of an easy way to enforce grayscale printing (instead of
> full colour) for users who print via the network share from other PCs?

yes. Create a copy of that printer, make all necessary adjustments and
change rights assignments to disallow network users change rights. Have all
clients connect to this copy.

You can use the old copy and print normally.

Demon: I'll swallow your soul!! I'll swallow your soul!! [Ash
points his shotgun at the Demon's head] Ash: Swallow this

"Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message

> On the seventh day, Code Developer wrote...
> > Does anyone know of an easy way to enforce grayscale printing (instead
of
> > full colour) for users who print via the network share from other PCs?
>
> yes. Create a copy of that printer, make all necessary adjustments and
> change rights assignments to disallow network users change rights. Have
all
> clients connect to this copy.

Well, it's a step in the right direction - I can set up grayscale printing
as a default on this copy of the printer driver.

As far as I can see though, the method above only prevents users from
changing ports / availability / Configuration etc. It doesn't stop them from
going into the Print preferences dialog and unchecking the 'Print in
grayscale' option, which is really what I want to prevent.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shaun.

On the seventh day, Code Developer wrote...

> "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
>
>> On the seventh day, Code Developer wrote...
>>> Does anyone know of an easy way to enforce grayscale printing (instead
> of
>>> full colour) for users who print via the network share from other PCs?
>>
>> yes. Create a copy of that printer, make all necessary adjustments and
>> change rights assignments to disallow network users change rights. Have
> all
>> clients connect to this copy.
>>

> Well, it's a step in the right direction - I can set up grayscale printing
> as a default on this copy of the printer driver.
>
> As far as I can see though, the method above only prevents users from
> changing ports / availability / Configuration etc. It doesn't stop them from
> going into the Print preferences dialog and unchecking the 'Print in
> grayscale' option, which is really what I want to prevent.
>
> Any ideas?

well, you should be able to set the printer's default printing properties
to whatever you like (working defaults), then just disable the possibility
that somebody changes these settings. I've done this before.

However, you may also look into Ben's idea. Most (good) printers nowadays
are compatible to a standard, say Postscript or PCL, and should understand
the language's subset as given through a generic driver such as the HP LJ5
or so.

Demon: I'll swallow your soul!! I'll swallow your soul!! [Ash
points his shotgun at the Demon's head] Ash: Swallow this

B&W PCL5 is a proper subset of the color LaserJet PCL... Ben Myers

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:20:48 +0200, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=