Question Disable/control side fan on an INNO3D RTX 3080?

Nov 25, 2022
Hello!

I recently bought a new GPU (INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 ICHILL X4 LHR). However, while the three main fans are pretty quiet, there is also a small additional fan on the side where the LEDs are located. This fan is OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD, and I'm rather bummed because it's kind of ruining the entire card for me.

I tried changing fan speed with the likes of Afterburner and Fan Control, but while the three main fans on the GPU can be controlled, this one apparently cannot. BIOS has Smart Fan 5, but GPU doesn't show up on it. Basically, it looks like I'm out of luck if I want to do anything about it.

The weird thing is that the fan occasionally stops for a while after windows startup if I'm doing absolutely nothing on my computer, but as soon as I open any program, boom, back to full speed. No inbetweens.

Are there any options left? A piece of software that could help?
If I'm forced to unplug the fan, is this supposed to be a simple operation, as I've never done it before?
Thank you!

Nov 25, 2022
Have you tried the software TuneIT that INNO3D advertise on their product page for your card? It appears to be able to control 4 fans.
I have - somehow it looks like it has absolutely no effect whatsoever. All other fan control apps are closed (not just minimized), yet nothing I do changes anything (even the RGB control options).

EDIT - RGB now works, after trying again. No luck with fan controls, though. Even at 0%, the side fan refuses to go under 1200 RPM (if the display is correct). Even worse, that slider actually controls the main fans, not the side one.

JtTqsfR.png

When I installed the GPU, I had small, thin cables designed to be plugged on 3- and 4-pin connectors on the motherboard, which I did not use. Is it possible that this is somehow where the issue comes from? I plugged the main double 8-pin connector into the card, which is enough to control the main three fans and the RGB profile, so it shouldn't stop me from controlling the small side fan, right?

Last edited: