Disable firewall through GPO's

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
241
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi all

I have assigned a policy under computer configuration->Administrative
Templates->Network->network Connections

Prohibit use of Internet connection Firewall on your DNS domain = Enabled

and under the same path ->Windows Firewall->Domain Profile

Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections = Disabled

When I refresh the Policy on my test computer (after a reboot) I still find
that my firewall is enabled!?!?!?!


Is there something I am missing?

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Grant schrieb:

> When I refresh the Policy on my test computer (after a reboot) I still find
> that my firewall is enabled!?!?!?!

Are you sure that an reboot refreshes the policy? IMHO a much better way to
refresh the group policy settings by calling "gpupdate" or
"gpupdate /force" on the client that you want to update it's policy
settings.

Jan
 

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
241
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Fair Comment Jan

I have also thrown the gpupdate command with the /force switch, all my other
policies are refreshed except for the policy governing the disablement of the
firewall...

Still puzzled, any other ideas?

"Jan Peter Stotz" wrote:

> Grant schrieb:
>
> > When I refresh the Policy on my test computer (after a reboot) I still find
> > that my firewall is enabled!?!?!?!
>
> Are you sure that an reboot refreshes the policy? IMHO a much better way to
> refresh the group policy settings by calling "gpupdate" or
> "gpupdate /force" on the client that you want to update it's policy
> settings.
>
> Jan
>
 

Grant

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
241
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Update: Access to the configuration page has been disabled, but the firewall
is still enabled. I think what I would like the GPO to do is to disable the
Firewall and keep it disabled!




"Grant" wrote:

> Fair Comment Jan
>
> I have also thrown the gpupdate command with the /force switch, all my other
> policies are refreshed except for the policy governing the disablement of the
> firewall...
>
> Still puzzled, any other ideas?
>
> "Jan Peter Stotz" wrote:
>
> > Grant schrieb:
> >
> > > When I refresh the Policy on my test computer (after a reboot) I still find
> > > that my firewall is enabled!?!?!?!
> >
> > Are you sure that an reboot refreshes the policy? IMHO a much better way to
> > refresh the group policy settings by calling "gpupdate" or
> > "gpupdate /force" on the client that you want to update it's policy
> > settings.
> >
> > Jan
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Grant wrote:

> Update: Access to the configuration page has been disabled, but
> the firewall is still enabled. I think what I would like the GPO
> to do is to disable the Firewall and keep it disabled!
Hi

To check the state of the firewall, open a command prompt (e.g.
Start/Run --> cmd.exe) and then, in the command prompt, enter the
two commands below (each followed by the Enter key):

netsh.exe firewall show state >fw-state.txt
notepad fw-state.txt

What profile name is listed?
What is "Operational mode" listed as?


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx
 

JB

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
365
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

New Admin on W2K3 here - I do not see those settings in my
Computer/Admin/Network policy. Do I need to download an .adm file or
something?

"Grant" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have assigned a policy under computer configuration->Administrative
> Templates->Network->network Connections
>
> Prohibit use of Internet connection Firewall on your DNS domain = Enabled
>
> and under the same path ->Windows Firewall->Domain Profile
>
> Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections = Disabled
>
> When I refresh the Policy on my test computer (after a reboot) I still find
> that my firewall is enabled!?!?!?!
>
>
> Is there something I am missing?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>