Disable HT on per program basis w/o restart?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Can I disable hyper threading on certain programs without restarting the pc? When I go to task manager / details / set affinity I see cores 0,1,2,3. I am using a i-3 3220 dual core hyper threaded. If I just deselect cores 3 and 4 would that be the same thing? If this method would actually work then how do I know which cores are the real ones? I would assume it's 0 and 1. I want to test some stuff out on a game I am playing I think the HT is causing issues.

Solution
When you're running the program, run it in window mode so that it will keep running when you minimize it, just in care you're using some kind of FS3D software. Open task manager and check which cores are running. You will see whether the program is using hyperthreaded cores at all.

And no, its not 0 and 1. The architecture is designed that each core has its hyperthreaded counterpart as a partner. Which means 0 and 2.

BigBadBeef

Admirable
When you're running the program, run it in window mode so that it will keep running when you minimize it, just in care you're using some kind of FS3D software. Open task manager and check which cores are running. You will see whether the program is using hyperthreaded cores at all.

And no, its not 0 and 1. The architecture is designed that each core has its hyperthreaded counterpart as a partner. Which means 0 and 2.

Solution