disable integrated graphic card

JG

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I have a Gateway at work, and need to add a new graphic card as the one
in the box is bad - I'm getting 'ghosts' even with a new monitor. How do
I disable the on-board video? Adding a new one is no problem.

BIOS, ask Gateway for instructions, they have tech support.
Ghosts are more likely caused by external RF sources.

"JG" <jgNOTAT@imshomeloans.com> wrote in message
|I have a Gateway at work, and need to add a new graphic
card as the one
| in the box is bad - I'm getting 'ghosts' even with a new
monitor. How do
| I disable the on-board video? Adding a new one is no
problem.

To disable nearly any on-board function, enter the BIOS setup and look
around for the function (e.g., video) and for an option like enable/disable
or on/off or similar. The way to enter the BIOS setup varies form PC to PC,
but is usually displayed for a few seconds when you reboot. Look for a
message about pressing some F-key or special key (e.g., DEL) to enter the
setup or chnage settings. This message occurs very early in the
power-on-test seqeunce, usually before the RAM is tested.

The safest thing to do would be to get advice form the PC maker, in this
case, Gateway. If they do not respond, you can try experimenting, but be
warned, that the wrong BIOS settings will stop the computer long before it
gets to the windows level.

Be very sure that you write down every setting before you change it, and
change only one or two at a time, reboot, and test. If disaster strikes,
immediately re-enter the BIOS setup and return the settings to the way they
were.

Also, do not play with the speed/timming settings. In theory these can be
used to improve the performance of the PC, which I called overclocking. In
practice, a small error here can overhead the PC and literally destroy it.

Also, before playing with the BIOS, try to determine whether the BIOS has an
automaic option to disable the on-board video, when it detects a video card.
Many modern PCs have such an option.

As for the ghosts, they are more likely caused by something other than
dueling video controllers. Some monitors have an option to "degauss" and
you might want to try that. Also, remove any magnets from the area of the
monitor; this includes speakers. Finally, while rare, the various colors of
a monitor could be failing to focus on the same spot. There may also be an
adjustment for this.

As a test, you might try another monitor, one know to not have a ghost
problem. Analog monitors are pretty much plug&play. Of course, power off,
then swap monitors, then reboot.