[SOLVED] Disable motherboard graphics and sound to avoid duplication

bamajon1974

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
I have a motherboard that includes on-board graphics and sound. However, I also have additional (and better) graphics and sound cards connected to PCIe slots in the motherboard. The onboard graphics and sound are not used but enabled in the BIOS/UEFI with appropriate drivers installed.

Should the onboard graphics and sound be disabled in the BIOS/UEFI if additional graphics and sound cards are used? Do the onboard graphics/sound compete with and used resources that can be dedicated to the additional graphics/sound cards?

Specifics: I have a custom rig with an Intel Motherboard (Asus Rog Strix Z390-E). The motherboard has built-in Intel VGA adapter and Realtek sound. Additional components include NVidia GForce 2080 RTX Ti XC graphics card and SoundBlaster AE-9 sound card.

I also plan to dual boot with Linux in the near future. I know that Creative Sound Cards are poorly (and that is being generous) supported under Linux. I think the Realtek sound does have better support. Should I leave the Realtek sound enabled in that case?

Thanks!

Solution
Disable iGPU. This will free up ram reserved for iGPU operations.

Test, how your sound card behaves in Linux. Enable integrated sound, if discrete sound card has problems.

bamajon1974

Commendable
Aug 27, 2019
Thank you. Although there does not appear to be any conflicts between the integrated Intel VGA and discreet NVidia graphics, I see no reason to run both at the same time. I just wanted confirmation.

I would also unload the integrated Realtek sound in favor of the discreet SoundBlaster. Creative Labs doesn't support Linux well (or Windows for that matter, their drivers are sketchy in quality at best) and I do want to dual boot with Linux down the road. Testing will be for another day though.

Thank you for your help.

TRENDING THREADS