Disable Netgear 7550 wireless, use real wireless router instead

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Since moving into Frontier Telecom's service area, we've had nothing but problems. (They even managed somehow to kill my 2 NAS devices.) I'd like to disable their wireless modem and connect my D-Link DIR-628 to handle the wireless duties. Yea, it's old, but it works and works well. I used it on DSL & fiber modems with no problems.
So, just for peace of mind, is this a good idea? I know I'll have to reassign ip addresses (oh joy!).
By the way, for those not familiar with Frontier, they are the successor to GTE, a.k.a, Generally Terrible Enterprise. GTE's phone service ranked right down there with the Elbonian phone company.

Most dsl modem/router boxes can be configured to be in bridge mode or modem only mode. This will completely disable the router portion of the box.

Of course you can always just turn the wifi radio off on the modem/router and hookup your router. The only drawback to this is that the modem/router will still be doing router processing and you will have to configure firewall port rules twice (also make sure the dlink router and the modem/router are not on the exact same subnet).

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No help whatsoever on Frontier's website (not surprised) and on their Connecticut site the info was wrong (poor Conns). Found Bridge mode procedure here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28087213-Netgear-7550-Manual. The message is from 2013 but the method still works.