DIsable onboard graphics or not?

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I have a dell Inspiron 545 it has the gma 3100 on board, however I just dropped in a ati sapphire hd 5670 so I could stream hd,and play some games without upgrading power supplies, my question is do I need to disable the onboard graphics in the bios or will this decrease performance, will the onboard and aftermarket work together?for that matter I have an audigy 2 soundcard, should I disable onboard sound as well, keep in mind I'm pushing the limits on my stock psu so effeciency is also a concern, thanks John

Solution

Hybrid X-fire is a feature of certain motherboards that will actully use the onboard video chipset in junction with your dedicated card which gives it a little boost of performance.

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Firstly, you cannot Hybrid X-fire the onboard card with your 5670, it s impossible.
Also, when you install the 5760 it disables the onborad 3100 automatically, so you don't need to disable it in bios.

I don't also se the reason why you should disable the soundcard, how can you work without one? [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Just disable the integrated sound, I'm running a soundblaster audigy 2. What does hybrid x-fire mean? thanks John

Hybrid X-fire is a feature of certain motherboards that will actully use the onboard video chipset in junction with your dedicated card which gives it a little boost of performance.

Solution

There are really not to many motherboards that do support the Hybrid Crossfire it does not add too much of a performance gain at all.

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Thanks for the info