Question Disable Ryzen 5 3500u boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2020
Hi guys . I bought my GF an Acer A315-42 laptop with a Ryzen 5 3500u , 8 gigs RAM and a 256GB NVME (no GPU just the Ryzen)

She only wants to do very lightweight gaming like Tomb Raider Underworld (2008) CS 1.6 and similar . Looking at the specs i was thinking that those games would be a joke for the Ryzen and vega 8 igpu but apparently i was wrong?
I installed win 10 (it had no os) installed radeon drivers , msi afterburner and a few other programs so the OS was pretty bare-bones and then i installed Tomb Raider and launched it on max graphics with the afterburner's ODS to show me fps , temps , frequencies and usage
I was shocked to see only 30 FPS and temps around 67C . What was even more shocking for me is that the ryzen seemed to boost every minute or so and the temperatures jumped from 67/68 to 76C almost instantly then back down to high sixties .

When i watched videos of 3500u i saw someone testing it on CS:GO and it had 100+ FPS while staying at around 65C.
It just seems wrong to me that it would strugle with such an old and apparently non-demanding game so i was wondering if i can disable the boosting since it doesn't need the CPU power , certainly doesn't need to boost and it would give more TDP headroom to the igpu

I did some searching and i found out how to do it on desktops but no info for laptops as apparently Ryzen Master doesn't support the mobile chips

I haven't owned a laptop before and have almost 0 experience with AMD cpus in general, it's the first AMD CPU i buy for myself or someone close since 2004 but i had to admit that at this price point it was the best option since going by the benchmarks the other laptops equipped with MX110 gpus would be left far behind by the vega 8.

I did hesitate over the fact that all those laptops had a single heat pipe which seemed not enough for me but then again it's only 15w and searching much higher up the price i saw that even ASUS has the same setup for the 3500u .

Jun 12, 2020
I downloaded a cracked version from a reputable source as it was the only option . I do have the dvd along with the rest of the series , however i can't use them as this laptop came without an optical drive so i wouldn't be able to play it as it requires the dvd be in to even launch the game as i recall

Didn't have issues with it on her old 2007 s775 core 2 duo desktop where i've used the DVD version at first but later re-formats i used the cracked version for ease without any issues.

Specs of old machine was E8400 cpu with GT8400 or 8600 and 4 gigs of ddr3 i think , never recall it going over 50C , and frames were quite high altho never actually bothered to measure as they felt pretty smooth

Jun 12, 2020
About the form factor yes i agree . I figured if the old junk could run it fine , this laptop shouldn't have a problem . At the review videos it certainly run CS:GO way faster than the desktop , i tried it 5 years ago and gave up.

What bothers me the most is those temp nearly instant temp spikes from 65 to 76C

Status
Not open for further replies.