Question Disable Windows Error reporting (werfault.exe) from creating crashdumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hello there, as title says I would really appreciate some help on how to disable that service from creating crashdumps in appdata/local. What I tryed:
-Windows error reporting service disabled
-Disabled it from administrative tools
-Created a DWORD in regedit set as disabled

Any help is greatly appreciated, i'm smashing my head on this since months now

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is a way to make the files it creates much smaller, if that is an adequate work around?

Memory.dmp can get many gb in size, so you could set it up to create minidumps which are only 256kb in size, and then you just delete the contents whenever

Look on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

safer to leave it on rather than turn it off and later get a BSOD that isn't related to game, and not have any clue what cause is.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
There is a way to make the files it creates much smaller, if that is an adequate work around?

Memory.dmp can get many gb in size, so you could set it up to create minidumps which are only 256kb in size, and then you just delete the contents whenever

Look on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

safer to leave it on rather than turn it off and later get a BSOD that isn't related to game, and not have any clue what cause is.
Obviously it would be better than what I have now and I would use it no problem, but from what i'm reading that has to do with system BSOD, I never had a problem with that, but correct me if i'm wrong

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
It does work that way. Recheck, especially upper/lower case on the REG keys (it counts there).
here they are, have a look:

UEHtjlw.png

HzB88sH.png

FBtelPB.png

this is all, tell me if i missed anything

Colif

Win 11 Master
What program is causing the crashes? Perhaps we better off fixing that rather than let it crash and ignore the crashes, turning off the error reminds me of last year when we rang to report our AC was showing an error and all they did was show us how to hide the error.

its possible disabling it from running auto in registry won't stop other parts of windows re enabling it if a program crashes and the processes involved around handling crashed programs call the werfault process into action.

I can find other cases where dumps were still created after a crash with werfault being disabled.

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
What program is causing the crashes? Perhaps we better off fixing that rather than let it crash and ignore the crashes, turning off the error reminds me of last year when we rang to report our AC was showing an error and all they did was show us how to hide the error.

its possible disabling it from running auto in registry won't stop other parts of windows re enabling it if a program crashes and the processes involved around handling crashed programs call the werfault process into action.

I can find other cases where dumps were still created after a crash with werfault being disabled.
like I said it's some games that specifically do that, some old like saints row 2, vampire the masquerade and fallout 3/nv and gtav. There's no solution to said crashes as far as i'm aware, at least no user was ever able to. By the way I also found this page containing settings for WER, maybe it can sparkle some ideas, but I really have no clue about that.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/wer-settings

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, I must have missed this before.

have you tried this?

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

if it were one or two games, I could blame them but 5?
some old like saints row 2, vampire the masquerade and fallout 3/nv and gtav.

it would just be bad luck

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Sorry, I must have missed this before.

have you tried this?

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

if it were one or two games, I could blame them but 5?

it would just be bad luck
No I didn't before you posted it. I tryed that and tested the games for a couple of days to see if I had anything to report. So far everything crashed, except vampire the masquerade, but it could just be that I was lucky.
Also by browsing the other game forums, it's not that hard to check that these games are bad pc ports and prone to crashes

Farinder

Reputable
May 22, 2016
I think I may have finally found a solution but would like to know if there's any long term downside to it beside not getting the dumps obviously. What I did was deleting the "Localdumps" key inside regedit and since then, I got no more crashes.
Any opinion or alternative please?

Status
Not open for further replies.