[SOLVED] Disable Windows Hibernation to save 10Gb+ on C:\Drive?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone, just want to know if anybody knows if it is safe to disable hibernation in windows if I don't use that feature to save disk space on my C:\Drive.

After having installed all the games I have, I ended up with quite the drive space limitation, So I figured that it is windows and features are too large and there are many things windows related that I don't use and could free up some of my drive space if I disable, uninstall or delete some of that.

I learned that in a admin command prompt one only has to type: "Powercfg -h off" or "Powercfg -h on" to enable or disable the windows hibernation feature to save up to 10Gb+ C:\Drive Space.

I hope I won't run into any trouble doing this and if you know of anything that would suggest that I rather leave it on, please say so.

If not, I would suggest that everyone uses this to free up some space, so easy to implement.

Last edited:

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I always disable hibernation right after installing Windows. It doesn't cause any problem. It's there to be enabled or disabled according to the user's wishes. In fact, I've heard that some people face issues when it's enabled.

I will definitely try this soon once I have already transferred my important files to a hard drive. I also do hope that it won't damage the system. Anyway, are there any other problems encountered with this one? Anyway, I do hope to see more tips similar to this one. Have a great day ahead.
Windows Fast Startup will also stop working but that was also problem maker.
Disabling and enabling Hyberfil.sys is very easy just run in CMD (as administrator)

Windows Hybernate
powercfg.exe /hibernate off
powercfg.exe /hibernate on