Disabled LLC allowed for stable oc?

oneho

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Hi,
First time overclocker here and I am trying to oc my P4 G3258. I am at 4.2 @ 1.225V but with LLC disabled.

I noticed that when I try to go to 4.4(at around 1.275V~1.3V) and having llc disabled gave me beetter stabilty than having it enable(though still not as stable).

And stability meaning that it runs cooler and longer without crashes on prime 95 and other stress tests.

Looking over some articles or posts, they recommend llc.

Should I use LLC?

-Mobo is asrock z97m pro4

mp5mafia

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

By saying 'LLC disabled' you mean at 0% ?
If so Asrock bios has llc thing swapped round so 0% means 100% and 100% means 0% llc.

mp5mafia

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Forgot to add...
I can't answer your question if you should use LLC, it depends on your readings. In theory you want to set LLC level which will keep your read voltage as close to what you bios is set to if that make sense

oneho

Reputable
May 27, 2015

So basically i should monitor my volage if it is changing, with something?

cause i am using hwmonitor and its says what it says. with llc disabled, but would it make no different if i had it enabled?

mp5mafia

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

Basically what it does is calibrating voltage on higher clock. As you increase the cpu clock up usually voltage drops causing so called vdrop and instability on higher overclocks and thats when llc comes in. It will add a bit of voltage to whatever you set to allow for the vdrop.
I'll give you example
Lets say you know your cpu will be stable at 4.4Ghz @1.21V and that's what you set in bios.
However when you load your os and check volatge in (cpu-z, hwmonitor etc) you realise vcore is only 1.18V(vdrop varies from motherboard to motherboard depending on quality of the components)
So what you wanna do is go back to bios and enable LLC to fix vdrop.
And like I said normally you would have a scale of either (1-10) (0,25,50,75,100%) or similar.
I never had a board you have so can't help with why yoir mobo has only option to either turned it on or off,
To be honest with z97 chipset I would expect something better