Question Disabled my Intel graphics card, screens black

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
So, i was messing around with my pc settings, and like a dumbass i disabled my intel graphics card and my screen went black. I tried fixing it by removing the oc batter like i read online, but to no result. My monitar says that my VGA cable is inactive, even after removing the battery multipls times are replugging in the cable over and over. any help?

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
what the hardware spec?
where did you disable the intel gpu?
i would check if i could, man, but i can tell you that its a Lenovo Thincentre M720 tower. i disabled it in a menu labeled "computer manager" or something to the like with a submenu labeled "video adaptars" where the intel card and my other graphics card a NVIDIA Geforce GT730 2GB DDR5 where typed out.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is this your pc?

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/deskto...series-sff/ThinkCentre-M720-SFF/p/11TC1MDM72S

I think whats happened is the lenovo's bios was setup to run both Intel and Nvidia graphics simultaneously as in multi monitor's using independent video ports unique to both graphics. Usually motherboards disable igpu if a graphics card is detected which leads me to think lenovo sets the bios manually before shipping it out not expecting customers to be removing cmos battery. That's my guess, igpu remains disabled even though you've reset cmos because the GT730 is in there still.

The hard part for me trying to help is understanding where the GT730 is in the case. Does this picture look like your case? At the rear where there are four covered slots above the power plug, has one of those covers been replaced by GT730? If so, try one of those ports if you have Displayport.

lenovo-desktop-thinkcentre-m720-sff-2.jpg

The specs say GT730 has two Displayport video ports and igpu has a two x Displayport + vga video ports. Igpu being disabled, both Displayport port and vga belonging to igpu would be disabled. GT730's Displayport ports should still be active.

Which video connection are you using with your monitor?

Vga:
71-9v3rIQFL._SX466_.jpg

Displayport:
300px-Displayport-cable.jpg

---

If you are using Vga only monitor, that makes it hard. To get igpu back online, remove the GT730 so the bios re-enables it by default. The tricky part is if you put back the GT730, the igpu will most likely be disabled again if Vga is what you're using. Need a Displayport cable so you can reconfigure the bios and enable igpu using one of the GT730's Displayport's.

Last edited:

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Is this your pc?

https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/deskto...series-sff/ThinkCentre-M720-SFF/p/11TC1MDM72S

I think whats happened is the lenovo's bios was setup to run both Intel and Nvidia graphics simultaneously as in multi monitor's using independent video ports unique to both graphics. Usually motherboards disable igpu if a graphics card is detected which leads me to think lenovo sets the bios manually before shipping it out not expecting customers to be removing cmos battery. That's my guess, igpu remains disabled even though you've reset cmos because the GT730 is in there still.

The hard part for me trying to help is understanding where the GT730 is in the case. Does this picture look like your case? At the rear where there are four covered slots above the power plug, has one of those covers been replaced by GT730? If so, try one of those ports if you have Displayport.

lenovo-desktop-thinkcentre-m720-sff-2.jpg

The specs say GT730 has two Displayport video ports and igpu has a two x Displayport + vga video ports. Igpu being disabled, both Displayport port and vga belonging to igpu would be disabled. GT730's Displayport ports should still be active.

Which video connection are you using with your monitor?

Vga:
71-9v3rIQFL._SX466_.jpg

Displayport:
300px-Displayport-cable.jpg

---

If you are using Vga only monitor, that makes it hard. To get igpu back online, remove the GT730 so the bios re-enables it by default. The tricky part is if you put back the GT730, the igpu will most likely be disabled again if Vga is what you're using. Need a Displayport cable so you can reconfigure the bios and enable igpu using one of the GT730's Displayport's.
First of all, thanks for such a well put reply, im suprised someone put this much effort into a response because i wasnt really expecting one at all :D.

To answer your questions, my pc is this one (however mine is a fraction of the cost and much less powerful) https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/deskto...-series-tower/ThinkCentre-M720t/p/11TC1MDM72T

And sadly, my pc moniter is VGA/HDMI only.

After some research i think i found out where the graphics card is on my pc on the inside (although since i have multiple im not quite sure how im gonna differenciate the two). I'll be checking it out tomorrow since its already late, i probably screwed and unscrewed my pc open around 5 times plugging and unplugging over and over again (good part is i know my way around it now). And im thinking maybe i can remove the GT730 temporarily just to get the screen back so i can have a jab at the settings to see what i can do.

But thank you for your extensive reply, im obviously not a great computer guy but i understand what your saying. I'll be back at things again tomorrow (its a shame too i really started using the pc a lot more recently).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your welcome.

Igpu is embedded in the cpu so that'll make things a little easier.

GT730 should be a card on it's own like this pic.

4148446963.jpg

At the back of your computer, top ports are for the igpu. Below, is there a couple of ports there like the above picture?

rUK5EdV.jpg

There are Displayport to Hdmi adapters available you can use, they don't cost much.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W

Last edited:

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Your welcome.

Igpu is embedded in the cpu so that'll make things a little easier.

GT730 should be a card on it's own like this pic.

4148446963.jpg

At the back of your computer, top ports are for the igpu. Below, is there a couple of ports there like the above picture?

rUK5EdV.jpg

There are Displayport to Hdmi adapters available you can use, they don't cost much.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W
ok, thanks a lot! i was actually coming to the thread to reply again that ive figured out that the intel card is integrated (thus not the same as a GT730) but it seems youve already beat me to the punch. I'm still gonna try to remove the GT730 and use the VGA to still see if that'll work, though (but its good to know that i have a $10 foolproof plan now). But this seems to wrap things just about up, and i actually learned some useful things (like that if i wanted to make sure my other graphics card was being used on games i couldve just lunched the game with that specific gpu instead of just disabling stuff willy nilly). But thank you for the hospitality, i was figuring id have to mail the box to lenovo or go to a repair shop but it seems things werent as cryptic or screwed up as i thought they were.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Glad to assist.

I would look into upgrading to a Gtx 1050ti to replace Gt730. Honestly, Gt730 isn't much better, if not the same level performance as integrated. It is a card only meant for light tasks really.

I don't know much about the innards of this pc specifically to know if psu or dimensions are adequate. If you can get in contact with lenovo regarding putting in a Gtx1050ti if it will work and if they say yes it'll be a big step up over the 730.

There are two different models of 1050Ti, models that require an additional 6pin from power supply for extra power (usually overclocked versions of the card) and others that run off only the slot. The motherboard pcie slot the gpu connects to must provide 75w for slot powered 1050ti models. Hopefully lenovo can assist if you pursue.

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Glad to assist.

I would look into upgrading to a Gtx 1050ti to replace Gt730. Honestly, Gt730 isn't much better, if not the same level performance as integrated. It is a card only meant for light tasks really.

I don't know much about the innards of this pc specifically to know if psu or dimensions are adequate. If you can get in contact with lenovo regarding putting in a Gtx1050ti if it will work and if they say yes it'll be a big step up over the 730.

There are two different models of 1050Ti, models that require an additional 6pin from power supply for extra power (usually overclocked versions of the card) and others that run off only the slot. The motherboard pcie slot the gpu connects to must provide 75w for slot powered 1050ti models. Hopefully lenovo can assist if you pursue.
maybe eventually, my pc doesnt really pack that hard of a punch so maybe an upgrade will do. but more importantly i think i need a cpu, when customizing i somehow forgot about how important that was so its a little lacking. but again, thabks for your assistance, i have a GT730 in front of me on my desk and a pc thats running so thats good, ill figure how to get it in AND for the pc to work in a bit

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Glad to assist.

YES THERE WAS A SETTING TO ENABLE I THINK IVE GOT IT NOW

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Glad to assist.

WHOO GT730's IN THERE AND THAT THANGS RUNNING WHAT A RELIEF

Reactions: boju

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Haha, well done mate

Im off for the night. Let us know if theres anything else you need help with.

You're a star.
oh my god thanks to your help and my and my new knowledge on my machine i was able to get my game to run exclusively on my upgraded graphics card, and instead of running at 60 fps with dips its running at 150 with dips to 90 at least (im fucking extatic or however its spelt oh my god)

dfreeman22

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
Very good. Upgraded video card as in the gt730?

I know you're happy just tone it down a tad on the language, the mods don't like it.
yeah the gt730, and i was suprised it was doing so well now. and ya i probably should relax a bit (ive been playing that game for years and ive never seen it above 90 fps)