Question Disabled Windows Aero and can't reenable

aaronwillow15

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
The title is fairly self-explanatory. I was messing around in Themes, switched to Classic, and now I cannot reenable Aero. I have tried the troubleshooter, I have tried editing the registry, I have tried rooting around in services.msc, but nothing has worked. My system rating also seems to be broken, every time I try to re-rate my system it encounters an error when trying to rate my CPU.

aaronwillow15

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
If this happened recent, try a system restore.
Are you runing on 32 bits?
Check if Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service and Themes are started and automatic in services.msc
Try reinstalling gpu driver.
More here
https://mrguider.blogspot.com/2017/10/fix-aero-themes-in-windows-7-disable-not-working.html
I don't have any prior restore points.
I'm running 64 bits.
I already fiddled about with that service with no luck.
I also reinstalled my GPU's driver, again with no luck.
Thanks for the link, though I tried all methods listed and none worked.

aaronwillow15

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
Go to your start, type in your search box "Aero" click the last search item that pops up and see if running the Aero tool gets you back to where you want. Good luck
Click start
Type aero
Select aero troubleshoot
Let windows do its job
As stated, I have already tried the troubleshooter. It just says "Could not identify the problem" or something.

aaronwillow15

Prominent
Sep 11, 2018
check more here:
Thanks again for the help, but none of the fixes listed seemed to help either. I just tried messing around in services.msc and regedit, and reinstalled my graphics driver again, but I still can't enable Windows Aero. This is really starting to get on my nerves.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Turn off all visible programs, remove anything unfamiliar or CPU-hogging from tray and in Task Manager (Processes tab), then press Win Key+Pause to get the System window. There's an entry there called "Windows Experience Index". click that and rerun the assessment. If you've already done that, write what the WEI numbers are.